14. Meeting in Secret

Late that night, Cal snuck out of the guild leaving Ophelia in Tiki's care. It was time for him to meet with the fire clan and finalize any concerns.

They met in a chamber adjacent to the crystal shrine. And underground treasure and easily the most valuable presence in the Pearly City. The large crystal could only be found in the deepest cavern of the catacombs under the City. And although the large glowing crystal hung from the high ceiling of the cave it was not a simple crystal and it was not a simple cave. The caves walls were lined with bamboo and gardens lined the simple winding walkways intercepted by a bubbling brook lighted by incandescent stones in the water's depth. Small buildings that looked like bisected houses dotted the expansive room giving it the appearance of a small play village.

The Crystal was also no plain gemstone. It was a he, a crystal wolf. A SSS rank divine beast named Fenrir and Cal's familiar. He was in a deep sleep and single handedly supported the mana for all the elementals in the city. If he were gone, the elementals would also disappear, and the city would be left potentially defenseless.

The holy protector of this treasure was no one else but another of Cal's familiars, the SS rank Sacred Beast named Silvia Moonshine. She was the leader of the foxes and used her large clan as a means for gathering intel to both aid the city and sate her desire to learn new things.

In a side room attached to the crystal shrine was a room where three individuals sat around a circle table.

Sinder, the Sylvan knight of fire and self-declared-queen of the gossips looked anxious as she organized several hand bound stacks of paperwork.

Diana, the first chair of fire on the council of elements, a youthful looking red riding hood adaptation had pile of books, files, and paperwork strewn about on a large table with four chairs.

And Silvia, the second chair of fire on the council of elements, a blonde nine tailed fox boss-monster-turned-subordinate-familiar of Calloway sat drooling over the excitement.

When Cal came in and sat down, he opened his player menu and set out a stack of paper that rivaled Diana's and Sinder's.

"Calloway," Sinder greeted anxiously. "I see you've finally deigned to let me in on your secrets."

Cal smiled. "Only because I figured you've caught up by now." He winked. "I thought it would be more fun for you to try and figure it out on your own."

"FUN! Cal, I still have no idea what you are up to and I've had several breakdowns with all your secrets! What the hell is going on?" She demanded.

"Isn't it simple, I'm planning out the future of the kingdom?" He chuckled after taking off his eyepatch. "That's better."

"City planning? But that is something to be done in the castle alongside your wife! The queen!"

Cal met her gaze and silenced it with a fierce look of intensity. "We aren't talking about the city, Sinder. We are talking about the future."

"But!"

"Sinder, if there is anything I've learned from my daughter, it is that the future holds many paths and it isn't always bright." The seriousness in his voice made her swallow his next words.

"The future of our city has many branches both light and dark. Let Shayley worry about the brighter futures while we muck around in the dark and plan for the worst."

"But you are keeping secrets."

"I am, a necessary evil. We are at war on three fronts Sinder, between the unknown enemies of the city, the unknown demons making their way from the south, and every worst-case scenario we face if we don't prepare for the slightest undesirable outcome. Sinder, if I can't trust you to keep these proceedings secret on pain of death or exile you are excused."