142. Twelve days of Peril and Panic

"Lewd! How could you? How could you do that with HIM of all people!" Achilles screamed.

"Achilles..." Selene tried to think of a way to calm her daughter.

"No! He's the Pirate! He killed Dad! I can't just walk away from that! And now he's trying to replace him!"

"Achilles we already talked about this." Selene urged.

"No! You already talked about this! I'll tolerate him but I'll never forgive or accept him!" Achilles stormed off.

Selene sighed when her daughter left. "She just as stubborn and pig-headed as her father. She'll have calmed down in the morning."

"Awkward... and here I was just going to deliver an urgent message from the castle." Yvette held out a letter. "It's about the disappearances."

"Disappearances?" Cal frowned and the air around him became dangerous.

"It's an official inquiry, and a request for the guild from the Queen." Yvette handed him the letter.

"My people... are being... kidnapped? Why would I know anything about this?" Cal scratched his head furiously. "I know they aren't trying to blame me... Damn... none of our members are equipped to handle something of this magnitude." Cal bit his thumb. If people were really disappearing in the quantities that the letter stated then it would take a whole party of seasoned adventurers, maybe even a raid party or they would just end up as victims too. The Dravenkin would have the only chance at surviving, but they had as much subtly as a screeching banshee. He was stretched too thin as it is. There was no way he could send his member into this. He expected casualties but not this soon. He would just have to take a leap of faith and trust that Shayley could manage something. Too much was happening too fast to keep up with everything.

"What does that mean?" Yvette asked.

"We have to turn down this request," Cal was haunted by those words as he cradled his face in his hands.

"You're turning Shayley down?" Selene asked.

"I have to." Cal lamented. "This is beyond the guild as it is. If I..."

Selene could hear the pain in his voice. Even if he wanted to do something himself, his plate was too full. He barely had enough time to sleep, let alone be a father.

"Twelve days." Cal sighed. "I have twelve days to left, how am I going to save everyone... anyone?" He lifted up his head and rested his chin on his hands. "So these are the decisions a king has to make. I have to choose some to sacrifice for others." He handed that letter to Yvette without looking at her.

"Guildmaster?" Yvette gently took the letter.

"Please tell the Queen about our sincerest regret. We do not have the capacity to risk accepting this request." Cal said evenly, defiant of the shaking of his hand holding the letter.

"I... understand. I half expected you to jump and run off on some mysterious night journey." Yvette held the letter.

Cal sat in silence for a long moment before he responded. "Yvette, please..."

"I understand." Yvette bowed and made her exit.

"Selene, may I make a selfish request, especially considering everything that just happened?" Cal had a firm mask on, but Selene could see that he was doing everything in his power to keep it on.

"Tell me how I can help, love." Selene urged, placing her hand on Cal's leg.

Cal slowly and gently turned and wrapped his arms around her waist then pulled her into his lap. He straightened out her clothes and then embraced her with slow and careful movements like he was scared he would break her. He lowered his head into her chest with his ear pressed against her sternum. "Can we stay like this for a while?"

Cal's pleading voice was weak and suddenly Selene felt like he was the one who was about to fall apart in the breeze. Selene held his head against her and ran her fingers through his hair. When her clothes became wet, she realized how bad he was shaking as he silently cried.

"Twelve days." He whispered like it pained him. "I only have twelve days left. I'm so scared, Selene. Ophelia was right, I'm so frightened I can barely move. I'm going to lose everyone I care about again. But I still have to put on a brave face. I have to be invincible. I have to smile and laugh everything off like I've figured it all out. I have to give everyone a future when I am about to lose mine. Everyone acts like I've already won, but I'm in a mad panic over every little thing while I gamble with people's lives. Over past couple of days there were moments that I just hid under my desk because the world began spinning and I couldn't breathe. I'm at my breaking point. I'm not even sure if I can hold out for twelve more days. And if everything goes to plan then it's about to get a lot worse."

"You can hold me as long as you like. I have faith that we will win, but whatever happens during these next twelve days and after, don't allow yourself to be alone anymore when I'm right here. Let me to be your strength." Selene continued to hold him.

"I'm so sorry for dragging you into my mess."

"You should know that I'd much rather receive your gratitude then your apologies, my beloved." Selene smiled. "It makes my heart flutter so."

"Thank you." Cal said weakly as he held her that much tighter. "I don't know what you two see in me, but thank you for loving me."

*

[Days to Ragnarok]

[12 days]

"Lady Ves'rigand, isn't it a little late for a visit?" Shayley sighed in her nightgown.

Ves'rigand blushed at the majestic beauty in front of her. Where did she get so much confidence that she was able to stand there in her bedroom doorway half-naked in her silk pajamas? The queen of the Calphian was amazing. Ves'rigand had come straight here after meeting the god of Perils and it was just one impossibly amazing person after another.

"The architect sent us," Ves'rigand fidgeted with Alvidan barely able to help her keep her nerves by holding her hand. "He said you'd know what that means, and he said to come right here."

"Great, because I wasn't getting enough sleep as it is." Shayley yawned and seemed to stare at the ground. She rolled her eyes and then looked at both Ves'rigand and Alvidan. "That jackass is always pulling something. Come on in. Let's talk about what you saw and what happens next." She invited them in. She pulled on a light purple robe that was hanging on a coat rack by the door and tied it as they closed the door behind them.

Shayley invited them over to a set of plushy cushioned furniture. "I can tell by your expressions that you just came from meeting with him. He tends to make a powerful first impression." She sat down and crossed her legs.

"Isn't it a bit dangerous to invite foreign nobles into your room after hours?" Alvidan asked as he sat down.

"I don't know how things work where you're from, but I am still very confident in my ability to fight Great Ones and Gods alike. Out of thousands, I've only ever lost to one." Shayley leaned on her knee and slightly tilted her head with a wicked toothy smile. "Depending on your intentions, by my side is either the safest location in the entire city or the second most dangerous one."

"Second?" Alvidan asked.

"You're line of questions ends now, kinsman. Now tell me what you saw." Shayley's eyes narrowed slightly but it was enough for both Ves'rigand and Alvidan to know how serious she was.

They told her everything they had seen.

"I see," Shayley leaned back and clicked her tongue. "That Jackass is always at the center of something, but to think Mother Gaia is getting involved... haaaa." She sighed. "You'll both be under twenty-four-hour surveillance for the time being. It's not that I don't trust you... I just don't trust you yet. Here is a chance to earn it."

Shayley held up her hand and waved it as if summoning someone. Two seven-tailed fox women in shrine maiden attire appeared at command in plume of smoke. "So long as you agree to honor all our arrangements, these two and their sisters will keep you from danger."

The fox women smiled and disappeared into thin air.

"Get some sleep, we'll talk more in the morning." Shayley smiled softly. "He has us all running ragged so get some rest while you can."