149. The Queen's Friends

"Alvidan," Ves'rigand sat on the edge of their bed in the castles guest quarters.

Alvidan sat down next to her after the sun went down on the city. He could tell that there was a lot on her mind. Even having tea with Shayley and the Queen of the Fairies only made her mood worse.

"We are doing the right thing, aren't we?" She said as Alvidan took her hand.

"One side chased us out of our homes, the other offered us refuge and an arm of friendship. It would be wrong of us to second guess the generosity of the God of Perils and the Sword Queen of Calphian." He rubbed her back.

"But what can we possibly offer that they don't already have, I feel like we are a burden." Ves'rigand couldn't stand how helpless she felt.

"Friendship, Ves'rigand. Must you complicate such an innocent request?" Alvidan comforted her, but in truth he didn't know what else to say.

"Oh good, you're both awake." The muffled voice of Queen Shayley came from the glass balcony door. She hooded her face with her hands as she pressed herself to one of the glass panes to see them. "There is something I want to show you." Her brilliant smile was bright and friendly. Even though the balcony door was locked. She waved her hand over the lock and it unlatched. She let herself in and locked the door behind her.

She rushed over to the door and cracked it open while peeking out. "Okay, we are clear."

"Your highness, what is going on?" Alvidan asked.

"Let's go on an adventure, so put something warm on." Shayley whispered. "Hurry, Fauna is looking for me since I skipped out on paperwork again."

They were caught up in her pace when she turned around and hurried them because they were going to miss something special.

Together they snuck through the corridors and up several flights of stairs. At the top of the spiral staircase she stopped and waved her hand at the latch once again. Then she opened the door into a spacious round room. It was immaculately decorated and maintained. It was laid out like an extra-large lighthouse. Window-like doors and stone columns framed the room while a mid-sized chandelier and several scones lit the room. In the center of the room was a large round ornate table with an accurate scale model of the city and the outside of the city.

The breezy draft in the room revealed that one of the doors was open. The shiny head of the Slime Queen Titania leaned backward from her chair pulling away from her easel.

"Your majesty, you brought me a midnight snack." The Slime girl giggled when Ves'rigand and Alvidan paled at her appearance.

"Quit teasing them, that's my job." Shayley brushed her off and Titania turned back to an easel.

Shayley turned to the elves. "This is the Crow's Nest, the war room for when we are invaded. However, this tower has one of the most fantastic views in the world. Come out and see, and don't worry Titania is the scariest thing in this part of the sky. After me, of course."

She smiled and led them outside.

The view took their breath away. The rainbow glow of the city lights created a pulse of liveliness, the skies were filled will the nocturnal creatures spinning and dancing in the air. Bat's chased insects, birds chased the bats, and a few creatures would leap out and catch the birds. What was fascinating was everything in between.