146. Burnt to Sinder

A/N

Ahoy Crew, 

I finally had some time to devote to editing and posting some backlog Pearly Tales chapters without getting distracted. So here is a two for one special. I hope you enjoy. 

And may the winds of fortune ever fill your sails. 

-Nathaniel Wilhelm

** ** **

"We must act swiftly. If we allow the Valkyries to have their way, then it will turn into a one-sided massacre. That may be fine if we only wanted to keep order in the short term, but we'd never clean the blood in time for the fairy clan coming through that district." Shayley mused.

"My Queen, allow me to go." Sinder stood up from beside Fauna. "The fairies have a sensitivity to magic and have been rumored to have been allies with the Foxes of the past. I know that we speak of them in hushed tones but there are none better suited to quick subjugating a mob with non-lethal force and welcoming the Fairies afterward. I know it's unorthodox but I'd only need a few, and if I can talk the mob down-"

"Permission granted. I'll authorize the seven tails, be expedient." Shayley interrupted her.

"Thank you, my lady." Sinder bowed respectfully and disappeared in a plume of fire.

Once Sinder was gone Shayley spoke up. "It won't be pretty, but if you care for instruction shall we go see how things are done in the City of Perils, Queen Ves'rigand?"

"I will steel my heart and open my mind." Ves'rigand took a deep breath.

"Good. Alvidan, stay here. You'll benefit the most if Clera walks you through the paperwork she'll find you a task or two suited to your abilities, that's what she's best at after all." Shayley ordered. Alvidan bowed his head and Clera smiled with a soft giggle. "Flamel, you are going to be my personal guard and keep the Valkyrie at bay, we all know how good they are at following orders when a fight breaks out."

"My lady." Flamel, a pink haired elf next to Clera stood up.

Shayley instructed them to gather around her and grab her shoulders. She held a talisman with an iridescent blue symbol on it. She crushed it and the world shifted around the three of them. They were no longer in the castle's offices. After the world settled into place, they found themselves on a rooftop somewhere in the city and by the noise it was clear that they were near the riot location.

"That's amazing, I thought all teleportation magic had been lost. But I've seen it so many times today already." Ves'rigand marveled.

"Even during the age of raids, it was rare for all but the Great Ones. And even then, only guild members could teleport anywhere within a guild city unless certain requirements were met." Shayley walked to the edge of the roof and looked down at the crowd gathered three stories down and about two blocks away. She ordered Flamel to cast some concealment charms on them and invited Ves'rigand over.

"Requirements?" Ves'rigand asked as she slowly approached the edge of the building.

Shayley put one foot on the short railing of the building's roof and leaned on it. "Yep, every member of the Sylvan Knights has what is called a 'work around'. Some kind of "exception to the rule" that allows them to shorten the distance between places. Now try to listen carefully, I can see that there aren't only refugees in that crowd though I doubt anyone else could."

"Is that from a skill or ability?" Ves'rigand asked.

Shayley turned her iridescent green cat eyes at the foreign elf and grinned to show her fangs. "I hunted dragons and gods, do you think I made it this far relying on petty tricks?" She turned her attention back to the crowd as they waited for Sinder to show up. "With that said, as the leader of this city I wouldn't have made it this far if it weren't for the Sylvan Knights and the Council of Elements. They really came through for me when times got tough. Otherwise a barbarian like me would have never been able to keep this city in one piece for as long as I have... There she is, I wonder how she'll keep the casualties down this time."