86. Leap of Faith

"Selene, this is what trust looks like." He used his fingers to throw several virtual boxes over to her. "Here are some of my pet projects.... Here is a list of what the fire clan is working on, good and taboo. The ones in red are the canceled projects... here is a the 5 to 100 year plan for what the water clan is working on... here is a census of monsters compiled by the air clan and where they nest or spawn... and here... is what all three branches of the Earth clan is working on." Cal showed off.

Selene gaped, "Is this even possible?"

"Actually, I just got word that they are finished. The lightning clan just spent the day cleaning up and they will be back tomorrow." Cal had a gleam in his eye.

"The lightning clan?"

"The newest clan of elementals. Joltiana is their leader and is in line to be the first chair when she is able to prove her merit. The ghosts are going to be joining that clan. I just need to choose a Sylvan knight to complete the clan."

"You're going to add the ghosts!" Selene stood up. "They've already betrayed you once before!"

"I've already thought of that. Glisa, Vorn, Percival." Cal called, and three spirits appeared in the room. The first was a muscular barbarian woman with a battle axe. The second was a Dravenkin hunter with is tattoos glowing through his armor. The third was a smug human with a single armored shoulder pad and a sharp haircut.

Selene tensed her jaw.

"This is Glisa the second chair of the wind clan on the council. Vorn, a Dravenkin hunter who is currently leading my horde of ghost spies in the city. I have assured his families safety in good faith for his continued cooperation, so far you are the only one that even knows Vorn's name and that he is serving me. And the last is Percival a dignified Knight Captain who was my rival in equal measure to Lamphere. Lamphere and his conspirators have been dealt with, as you know I sealed their spirits to soul crystals and gave them to my parents for judgement. Percival is a man I trust and respect, we fought like cats and mice since the beginning of my Dread Pirate career and when he was defeated he was my first mate before Kadoka and the Nightmare crew." Cal introduced them.

"How can you be sure that he won't betray you?" She pointed at Percival.

"Percival... would you care to explain?" Cal tilted his head.

"Aye Captain." Percival stepped forward. "Mistress Selene, when the Captain disappeared I took control of the crew and patrolled the sea to keep invaders away from our bases. You see, the ghosts are more or less compelled to follow the orders of the Captain. Lamphere saw it as his chance to regain his freedom and challenged me until he defeated me and became the Captain. I was his only peer and he sealed me away by feeding off of my life force to keep me weak. With me out of the way he had his way of the sea to commit tragedies with a slave crew. With Lamphere gone and Cal as the undisputed Captain once again, we follow only his directives."

"And your motives if you become Captain again?" Selene interrogated.

"Ma'am, my people are long dead, my nation succumbed to time and war. I have nothing left but my honor. The captain has given me a new nation to serve, when he is gone and if the ruler will still have me I will eternally serve them in the defense of this nation. Also, I will not make the same mistake again." He turned to Vorn. "I do not know you sir elf, but if you act contrary to my honor I will not let my guard down a second time and I will crush you into oblivion."