122. Flight of the Valkyrie

Vera couldn't believe the feeling that was surging through her body. The lines in her wings burned bright red like they were on fire. They traced hard lines like spider webs from the tips of her wings and then wrapped along her entire body. Her senses sharpened to a painful amount as the heart beats of everyone in the room thundered against her ears. The mana pouring over her from Anastasia assaulted her nerves like a warm fire. All the pain from her injuries numbed and her entire body felt as light as a feather.

"We call this the battle high." Anastasia said. "How do you feel?"

Vera hopped up and began bouncing on the balls of his feet. She giggled. "This can't be real! I feel like I could take on an army!" She giggled gleefully.

"So confident. Can you block me now?" Anastasia swung the staff back and forth.

Vera felt her body move on its own and was able to block every consecutive attack until Anastasia kicked her. However, Vera took that blow with grace and easily found her footing. "By Calloway's mercy, this is Amazing!"

"Don't get a big head yet. It is time to work on attacking." Anastasia held the staff like a sword and was ready to intercept anything Vera through at her. Vera began jabbing at her like she was punching with her wings but easily blocked them all. "Stop! Stop. This isn't going to work."

"What's wrong?" Vera asked, a little frustrated that she couldn't continue.

"What are you doing with your wings, you're not a boxer. It's like you've never seen the Valkyrie fight." Anastasia cocked her eyebrow.

"Um... I haven't." Vera confessed.

"Why not?" Anastasia asked.

"Nobody has seen the Valkyrie fight and lived to tell." Seamus answered.

"The immortal Battle maidens are infamous. None of the stories I've heard explain any of it, only how invincible the Guardians of the Pearly City are. 'The winged beauties of the perilous walls are fair to behold and are charmingly displayed in pure maiden's dresses. On the battlefields where none survive they are always found smiling at the fallen, for they see only the strongest heroes as mate and rival. Beware the affection of the Immortal Valkyrie for none who has challenged them has survived and even the gods fear their wrath.' Aedid Malthwen." Throgar cited a text.

"But I fought that monster not too long ago just outside the city." Anastasia pointed her thumb at Joltiana who took it as a compliment. "There was a pretty big crowd."

"You and I both know we moved faster than anyone could see half the time. Speed is what I'm made for after all." Joltiana smiled smugly.

"Alright, I get it." Anastasia tossed the staff back to Seamus. "Let's go Druid boy, I heard that you don't get a lot of training experience so let's push it today. Cast [Eye of Destiny] on Vera every time it cools off. Vera, pay close attention." Anastasia rolled her shoulders and held her arms behind her back. "You cannot think of your wings as arms for punching or slapping, they are wings. They are made for soaring."

"I understand." Seamus said. He whirled the staff around with a dexterity he hadn't shown before. "[Eye of Destiny]"

"Here, I come." Anastasia took a step forward while lowering her torso. She pivoted on the balls of her feet and began to spin like a windmill.

Seamus dodged by leaning backward until his back was parallel with the ground. The next wing came in fast and lower in response to his new position. It was awkward, but his training made up for it as he rebounded, springing off the ground with his arms and legs he popped off the ground and rolled over the wing. The sideways jump helped him land on his feet with his left side pointed at Anastasia, but that was when the next wing of the windmill aimed for the back of his knees. Seamus was used to constant flow of movement and back flipped over the wing. He was able to counterattack simultaneously placing himself behind Anastasia's direction of attack.

With a sidestep Anastasia moved outside the range of Seamus's attack, successfully dodging him. "Impressive, Druid boy. But you are still holding back." She lunged. Her right wing angled at Seamus she thrust it at him in a diagonal slash.

Seamus stepped to his left with a backward spin pivoting on his left foot. "[Arc of Raiju]" he cast the attack buff on himself as he swung his staff in a wide arc aimed at the back of her neck.

Anastasia flapped her left wing to pivot her body and block Seamus's attack with it. but she used the of force his attack to reverse the direction of her spin, quickly counter attacking with and upward arcing chop with her right wing. It caught Seamus in the back and sent him flying.

Seamus grit his teeth and rolled when he landed and was back on his feet in no time at all. He had never fought a winged combatant like this before. To be able to change direction at will, boost her speed with a flap of her wing, it was crazy.

Anastasia clicked her tongue. "Druid boy, you are still holding back." The moment after he was sent flying she angled her wing downward and cupped the air. She flapped, pulling it toward her helping her momentum and her spin. Pivoting like a dancer she was able to bring her left wing around in a downward diagonal slash. "[Wind Slash]" from the arc created by the tip of her wing sent a green slash of wind magic flying toward Seamus.

In response, Seamus leaned to dodge it while spinning around and took a defensive stance with his staff.

Anastasia paused her assault. "Seamus, you and I both know that you are holding back. You can't wield a blade because of Cal's orders, your mana is low, your physique is lithe, but your fluid movements and dexterity suggest a high a degree of training. On top of that you didn't hesitate for a second when I challenged you. That means two things. You have faced someone much strong that a Valkyrie, and you have a lot of combat experience where your live was on the line. You are strong." She narrowed her eyes. "Too strong to be enrolled in a training program with these novices."

Seamus didn't budge as his face remained hidden behind his mask.

"I'm not going to debate or pry. But your only limitation is that you can't use a sword. You don't get as strong as you are without a long list of skills and abilities tied to your much larger Stamina bar. All those skills can't be locked to wielding a sword." Anastasia glanced at Vera and back at Seamus. "Cal said no hunk of metal, but he never said all the rest of what you've gained until now won't make you a better druid. How are you going to protect your friends and family if you don't know how to use ALL of your strength within the bounds of your training."