28. A Family at Sea

"I feel naked." Seamus leaned against the railing with Cal.

His life had been changed forever. He may not always understand his strange master who was miles away from the god he used to know. But he knew now that beyond the shadow of a doubt that he at least had real family. 

He held the staff that Cal had given him and was looking down at his plain clothes. The staff was just a few inches taller than he stood with a curling knot at the top. For a human his clothes would have been finely made since they were of elven material. But after wearing his mid-high level assassin's gear, the butler's uniform, and the fine outfit's Wendy made for him these loose clothes made him feel like he was homeless. But according to Cal they were beginner level druid gear that would help focus his mana.

They were a far cry from the form fitting black armor he was used to, and only believed him after the queen vouched for his master. But the worst part about it, the thing that really made him feel naked was the lack of any bladed weapon.

Cal had made his strip down to nearly nothing and had taken every single weapon Seamus possessed. Seamus hadn't been anywere with any less than 12 blades of some form or another. 

"So let me get this straight I can't even touch a blade?" Seamus was starting to feel anxious as the comforting weight was gone. 

"Bingo. There are three conditions for touching a blade, first it has to be under a foot long, second only for cooking like when your helping Wendy in the kitchen, and third in case, if yours or the life of someone precious to you can't be saved in any other way." Cal answered smiling while he twirled Seamus's dagger around his finger.

"But how am I supposed to defend myself with this?" Seamus asked holding up the rod.

"It's simple- oops." Cal dropped the dagger.

But that was only a ploy, he used the awkward movement to swipe at Seamus. Seamus was able to block it, but not the follow through when Cal swept his legs out from under him and shoved him over the railing.

Seamus went over the railing backwards, but he was somehow able to hook the rod on something and twirl into the air. Landing back on deck with a flourish.

"You look like you're are doing just fine to me." Cal snickered. "Now let's see if you can use that."

"I'm ready any time you are." Seamus readied himself.

"Hmm? No, we aren't fighting. Let's make one thing clear, you are a support. Your job is no longer to fight on the front line. Your job is to hold the party together. Remember what I taught you at the guild. That rod will at as your new medium for spell casting."

"Okay, but for what?" Seamus asked confused again.

"Isn't it obvious?" Cal pointed at the battered crew, Naomi, and Yvette breathing heavily on the deck while Shayley looked equally as roughed up, but was standing with a smile big enough to eclipse the sun.

Shayley noticed that Cal was done and gave him a thumbs up. "Your crew is amazing, Captain. It's been a while since I was able to let loose like this. I'm sure if they came at me at once I'd would have been toast. How are these Elementals all on par with the council? And how have you kept them hidden for so long?"

"This is my raid team. I summoned them for the purpose of challenging the raids that sprouted long after I retired from the sea. I leveled them on the teeth of raid monsters the pearly city never saw. How they remained hidden I have no idea how this bunch of misfits managed to stay under the radar, but I can only guess that it's because they are misfits, they don't fit into the city's default settings for elementals and they are too buggy for the city's system anyway."

Shayley laughed, it was long and hard. The crew looked at her curiously, she was a joyful princess and unconvential among the elves but she had never been able to relax and it showed.

"I have no idea what you just said." Shayley's bright smile made Cal blush.

"Ooooooh." Kadoka slid up to Cal's side. "We finally found something that'll make the Captain blush." She teased.

"Shut up." Cal playfully pushed her away.

"But you loooooove her." Kadoka seemed to disappear and appeared floating in the air on the other side of him and poked his cheek.

Cal blushed even more. "Ya and what of it!" he swatted at her but she floated out of his reach.

Kadoka giggled until black tendrils grabbed Shayley and pulled her off her feet. Cal caught her in his arm and gave her a big embarrassing kiss. Enough to make Kadoka blush and balk.

"Oooh, my Captain." Shayley said sleepily when the kiss broke. 

Cal noticed Seamus staring. "Well, what do you think you're doing?" Cal said playfully and then tilted his head at the collapsed people at the end of the ship. "You've got some work to do. But mind your hands, not all of them will be as forgiving as the lamia girl." He leaned in. "And if you aren't careful some might let you stop."

Cal hoisted Shayley up over his shoulder. "Speaking of which." Shayley squealed and giggled as Cal shared a knowing look with Kadoka. "I have a rogue booty to tame after she took down half my crew." He slapped Shayley's butt so that Kadoka could see and the first mate blushed bright red as she realized what Cal was implying. 

"C-captain!" Kadoka said startled. 

"Will you keep the children entertained for a few minutes, I have some buried treasure to dig up." Cal winked and began carrying Shayley back to his cabin. 

Shayley met Kadoka's eyes and mouthed, "A few hours, a few hours!" Then she winked from her position over Cal's shoulder as he closed the door behind them.