87. Good Morning Guildmaster

Selene was finally started to get through the tough outer shell that was Cal the enigmatic Guildmaster. She was still overwhelmed by the truth of her origin. She had always thought that it was strange that the only parts of her childhood that she ever remembered were the ones that involved Callow. Part of her felt like she should be bothered that she was created as an afterthought and forgotten, but at the same time she had lived 250 years. She had lived a full life, and even though she loved Callow she had never been resentful of him.

Callow had never forced himself on her, in fact just the opposite. He gave her a husband. She had chosen to have a daughter and had lived her own life. Her love for Callow had been the strength to overcome many obstacles she may never have had otherwise. Heck, she may not even exist otherwise. But that love led her to pursue a life of adventure. She had fought pirates, learned to sail, developed her own magic and unique fighting style, she had met a goddess, helped found a new nation, developed the Dawn Way alongside other masters, and raised a beautiful talented daughter.

He had given her a foundation, but in 250 years she had become her own person. She had faced hardship and loss like anyone else. However, as she lay in this bed with the slumbering oracle and man from another world she felt truly content for the first time in a long time. It was as if her entire destiny had led to reuniting with Callow.

She breathed in his smell. She had been in love with it since the moment she'd discovered who he was. The sweet tart smell of Victa berries cut through her memories to the most precious moments with her daughter. His warm protective presence was all that she needed to feel safe.

Callow may have felt anxiety over the future, but she had hope. She had faith in Callow and Jasper alike. Both were men of honor despite their outward appearance and the many lies he hid behind. He truly cared. If she could just nurture that side of him then she was sure that he might never feel lonely ever again.

*

"Sir, mistress. It is time to get up." The calm voice of Wendy stirred Selene from her sleep.

Selene sat up and rubbed her eyes with her dainty hands. Below her, Cal and Ophelia slumbered. She smiled as she woke up from a good dream into a better one. She looked down only to notice that her sleeping robes were partially open.

"Eek!" She squealed and covered herself.

Both Cal and Ophelia sat straight up ready for battle. Ophelia even had a knife. Where did Ophelia get a knife from.

Wendy sighed as Cal and Ophelia didn't see any danger and calmed down. "Honestly, if a woman's scream was all it took to wake you up in the morning, you could have told me sooner. Ophelia put that knife away, you're going to poke out your father's only good eye." She walked over to the window and opened the drapes.

Selene's face was still burning from her temporary immodesty. She looked at Cal who had a strange expression on his face when their eyes met. He always had that oddly sincere smile at the oddest of times. Then he did something that always surprised her. He kissed her.

"Morning." He chimed.

"C-Cal!" Selene's face flushed. She didn't know if she'd ever get used to the openly affectionate style of courtship. Her late husband was a man married to his own ambition who practically ignored her, that was not a part of Cal's design and as far as Selene was concerned it was a happy accident. Her true feelings for her late husband were more reminiscent of a friendly business partner rather than a lover. Even while trying to conceive their efforts always felt so sterile.

Compared to her late husband, Cal was clumsy, daring, and sometimes witless. But he was also romantic, and spontaneous too. While she was working with her late husband everything was so... Cordial. It was life of accounting, looking over ledgers, and pursuing money. Life with Cal was... in simple terms it was an adventure. Every breath was a new experience and living with him felt like tending a garden just for the sake of the beauty of its flowers.

"Papa, Papa. Me too!" Ophelia puckered her lips for a kiss and Cal gladly kissed her on the forehead. Then he kissed her on the cheek and blew a raspberry into her cheeks making her giggle.

Selene's late husband never made his own flesh and blood daughter laugh that way. This girl couldn't be further away from his blood relation, and yet here he was showing such casual love to the young half-breed he had pulled off the street.

"What's the report on the North Wind Academy students, Wendy?" Cal asked.

"Currently, Lady Achilles is instructing them on basic drills in order to build form and stamina. She's doing a lot to publicly refute some of your free-thinking pirate training. She is doing her best to gently instruct in the dignified manner of a proud Dawn Way Follower." Wendy responded.

Cal began laughing and jumped off the bed. "Perfect, it's all going according to plan."

"You mean you designed to have Achilles undo all you're training." Selene asked as she gracefully stepped from the bed.

"This has never been about my training or hers. The North Wind Academy is a place of learning. No matter how many teachers pour water into their cup my only goal is to have their cups overflowing rather than empty as they once were. Naomi, Yvette, and Seamus are my only formal disciples. And they are far out of her reach on such matters." Cal began stretching. "Speaking of which I have an appointment with Yvette today after training."

Selene couldn't help but stare at his lean muscles flex and bulge. Cal truly was a beautiful elf, he was more rugged than most but had a softness about his manner that smoothed out his edges.

Cal turned to Ophelia, "then we are moving into our new house!"

"We're moving away?" Ophelia looked down.

"Just next door above the public bath we'll have our own space." He looked around the room. "This space is probably big enough for just you and me, but now Selene and Achilles are a part of our family. It is probably best if your big sister has an option to live with us or on her own."

"What about big brother Seamus?" Ophelia crawled to the edge of the bed and then slid off with an, "ohp."

"Should we make a room for the cabin-boy? He is staying with the other students at the North Wind Academy though."

Ophelia pouted.

Cal laughed, "you're right. And I already made him a room."

"Yay!" Ophelia hopped on the balls of her feet.

"Seamus is your son, too?" Selene asked trying to guess at the resemblance.

Cal picked up Ophelia. "Best part about being a family is that it isn't always about blood. Ophelia saw a vision that they called each other brother and sister... and well, why not. It's not like he has anywhere else to go, thanks to me he can never go back to where he came from. So I'll take responsibility."

"That's right he tried to kill you, you called him a genius. So why are you training him as a druid rather than a knight, archer, or even a mage?" Selene asked. "Wouldn't he be much better in a class where he got to put all of his talent to use?"

"That might work, but I'm a believer in balance. Someone who works in poisons should know how make antidotes, and someone who knows how to take a live should know how to save a life. besides he's never had a real bond with a person, that much is clear. He knows how to follow instructions and excels at individualized tasks. His manners are impeccable, but when faced with a situation outside a point of reference his social graces break down. If I gave him something he'd excel at around his peers, he'd just get a big head. It is my undying pleasure to give him an environment where he can fail and it's not life-or-death."

"And this way he'll be able to grow along with his peers starting from the ground up like the rest of them." Selene exclaimed.

"Exactly!" Cal said. 

** ** **

A/N

Hey Crew,

In case you haven't already checked it out I Drew Chibi Versions of the Fates; Ellie, Ophelia, and Loca. You can find them in the Captain's Trove. I'll be uploading more pictures of the fates and i just started one of Seamus so I hope you like them as I release them. 

And may the winds of fortune ever fill your sails. 

-The Captain