101. The Timid Story of a Calphius Son

A/N

Hey Crew,

We're over a hundred chapters now, so here is a special long one delving into Seamus's life before Cal turned him. This is also my kind of Father's day special. It's a day early, but whatever. Happy Father's day, tell your old man you love him. Father, step-father, adopted-pseudo-elven-god father... go appreciate someone. 

I hope that you enjoy the chapter. 

And may the winds of fortune ever fill you sails. 

-The Captain.

** ** ** 

"All hail Brother Calloway. The merciful god who gave us the Pearly City." The Priest said. He stood at a podium in a small room that looked like a chapel. Sixteen stone pews were lined up to face the podium. Everything in the room was the same dark grey color expect the stain glass windows on either side of the room like slivers of color while a large one of an Elven hero glowed behind the priest.

Timid bowed his head and chanted with the other assassins that filled the room. "May he grant us glory against our enemies."

He put on his mask and led his team out of the room. There were five of them. The chapel had the appearance of being outside during midday, but it was all artificial. The twisting catacombs under the city were dangerous, but they had managed to secure this small portion at the far end of the city without too many visits from the hungry slimes that wandered near them.

The Catacombs under the city were incredibly vast and dangerous. Something down there would pick off the stupid or careless that wandered too far from their safe zone. Timid had lost many comrades to the darkness.

This only told Timid that the dark corridors of the labyrinthian catacombs under the city were dangerous. The only thing Timid even knew about the other assassins was that they were also dark elves bred and trained since birth. His earliest memories included wearing a mask and training. Blades, poisons, bow and arrow, martial arts, stealth, problem solving, even reading, writing, languages, acting, and arithmetic. Lastly and firstly, the thing that took up most of their time was learning about Brother Calloway and how amazing he was.

His deeds were a big focus in their sermons. When Brother Calloway started the North Wind, the foundation of the city, the heavenly descension of the Elementals, Brother Calloway's triumphant victory against other Great Ones during the Age of Raids, his infinite wisdom as he ministered to the precious citizens, the holy maiden Shayley, and Brother Calloway's love and engagement.

They would do special sermons on the greatness of the North Wind, heavily focusing on land mark buildings throughout the city, even the old guild house turned keep and then palace. They went over various aspects of the city, the defenses, the Elementals battle potential, and how perfectly everything was set up. The perfect city.

Timid was borderline obsessed with Brother Calloway. He also excelled at every area of training except two, communication with comrades, and abstract critical thinking. In short, it meant that he didn't get along with others, nor saw any reason to do so. The deep Philosophy of Calloway's teachings went over his head.

He could never understand why the city needed to stay in a pristine state of perfection, or what it really did to pray to a god that had disappeared and simply left his blessing behind for everyone. What he did know was that Brother Calloway was a good god worth following and this religion supported him. He idolized Brother Calloway, not only could he do the impossible as a warrior without measure, he was a leader that was kind and humble, he was also a creator without peer. No city or nation, elf or otherwise, had a history as long and as tried as the Pearly City. All they had to do was point and say it was in the name of his idyllic pseudo-father-figure and god Brother Calloway and he would do it without questions.