✎ CHAPTER 1: Gift Of Time

In one of Chicago's popular restaurants, all heads turned to an attractive, young waiter

In one of Chicago's popular restaurants, all heads turned to an attractive, young waiter. A shy, yet seductive, rosy smile dominated his features, paired with rare, ice-blue eyes, that shone like a chaotic ripple on a crystal blue sea.

He took this job a little over a month ago and he was already popular amongst the employees and the customers for being a hard worker, a friendly guy, and, of course, for his heavenly appearance. He sent a thrill of temptation into their weary souls. A strong desire to abandon their conversations so their eyes could follow him whenever he passed by. Some stretched trembling hands toward him in the hopes that he'd offer a friendly shake. Oh, to be touched by divinity like that.

His black outfit had a chili pepper logo sewed on the front pocket of his shirt beside a name tag with "Kevin" printed on it.

Self-conscious of the chaos his beauty caused, Kevin kept a good distance between him and the flirty, grabby customers. He made a point not to react to the awkward stares and creepy handshakes with anything but a smile. Even the most inexperienced waiters quickly learned to deal with situations that ranged from embarrassing to gross.

On any given day, waiters might be asked to clean the piss from under an old man's wheelchair, kick out a homeless person seeking shelter from the heavy snow, or pretend being sexually harassed by the customers didn't bother them. How else could a person without a degree earn so much, paid in cash at the end of each shift? A polite nature came naturally to the waiter, and Kevin excelled at this job.

It paid to be good.

On a Thursday night, the young waiter swept a table clean in a hurry, fighting off a jittery feeling. His hands shook just enough to draw the attention of a tattoo-covered worker with a tag that said "Supervisor."

"Hey." She stopped to place a friendly hand on his back. "You OK, kid?"

Kevin straightened up and sighed. A faint sheen of sweat wrinkled the chestnut-brown, silky hair threads that clung to the sides of his face.

He brushed up some of the strands to set them where they perfectly belonged, in a windswept, single-length spiky hairstyle. The highlights threading through his thick brown mane caught the cozy lighting of the restaurant and radiated as warmly as his dazzling smile.