CHAPTER 36: Mom

I wanna thank SallyMason1 for helping me figure out how to plot this chapter. Ah, man. I was stuck at it for a while (like 3 or 4 months!) I don't think I would have written this without her :)

Thank you so much, Sally ❤️

The situation became chaotic

The situation became chaotic. The doctor hurried inside followed by emergency personnel who rushed into Kevin's ICU room with medical equipment. Another team arrived, rolling a defibrillator machine through the door.

Josh entered the room to a heartbreaking scene of a mother wailing on the ground as a pair of paramedics attempted to pull her away from the bed.

"Nooo! Not my son!" Jennifer wailed. "Please, help him! Please, don't let him die!"

Josh grasped his hair, panicking. Not Kevin. No, no, not him.

Between Josh's heavy breathing and Jennifer's wails, one of the paramedics placed two pads on Kevin's chest and yelled, "Clear!"

Kevin's body trembled for a second as electric shocks traveled through him. The sound of the monitors indicated that his heart started beating again. The paramedics watched the monitors for a few seconds to make sure that his heart was beating on its own and not as a result of the electric waves.

The nurses gently pulled Jennifer and Josh outside and told them to let the paramedic do their work and not to worry. Jennifer sat on the set of chair and sobbed as Josh paced back and forth through the hallways, biting his nails.

A few minutes later, the doctor emerged out of the room. He removed the surgical mask and said to Jennifer, "He's stable."

Both Josh and the mother let out a sigh of relief.

Then Jennifer pushed the papers at the doctor's chest and said, "He said, no." Her voice was breaking, but her facial expression was holding it together except for those shimmering tears in her mascara-smudged eyes.

The doctor checked the papers then replied, "So, an induced coma only." He lifted his head and eyed Jennifer. "We'll get him set up then."

With that, Kevin was placed in a medically induced coma under a large quantity of sedation and heavy monitoring. Jennifer sat beside Kevin and rested her head on the bed with her arm between them. Her lips permanently took a downward shape since she the bad news about Kevin's condition started flowing.

Josh walked in and gazed at Kevin's sleepy face with a bitter frown. The room was dark except for a dim light above Kevin's bed. The place was finally quiet for a few hours; only the steady beeping of the monitors echoed off the walls.