CHAPTER 26: Dead Man Walking

Duke's POV:

Duke's POV:

I guess he was already too far gone.

No, it can't end like this! I had plans!!

Thankfully, I saw him fluttering those pretty eyelashes. He opened his eyes and I saw his back moving up and down with each breath he made. He didn't move though. He grunted in agony and stared back at me.

I smirked and descended the stairs, steadily, while talking to him, "Kevin

I smirked and descended the stairs, steadily, while talking to him, "Kevin. Kevin. Kevin. I underestimated you. You're really tough, for a lil guy. But you haven't learned your lesson, have you?"

At the time of my speech, he was trying to move his arms, gradually dragging them on the bloody floor as if he was trying to regain sensation in them or train his muscles the basics of movements. I heard the sound of glass cracking underneath him. He managed to pull one of his arms up and press it against the floor to push himself up, heavily breathing.

"I'm sorry," he breathed an apology, as if it would save him.

I continued, "As much as I enjoyed our fight, I have to teach you another lesson now."

He adjusted his back and grunted from the pang. His hand slipped and he started panting in misery and pain that would break someone's heart, but not me.

I like this.

Then he tried once again and he got it right this time. Exhaling a weak, trembly "Ah" of hurt and suffering once and a while. He lifted his other arm too and succeeded in pulling himself up on all four.

"You played me and treated me like a fool this whole time. I can't let that go easily."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," he kept apologizing until he choked on some blood and coughed it out.

He crawled to the nearest wall and sat against it resting his achy back. His lips and chin were bloody. His arms drooped down on his lap, drained of energy, and his legs were stretched out.

I put my knife back in my pocket. I raised my index finger and moved it side to side while saying, "Oh, no, you're not." Then I put it down and told him, "But you're gonna be."