CHAPTER 35: I'm Only Human

This chapter's title was inspired by the song "Human" by Christina Perri. This song was suggested by JesskyaBradbury to describe Kevin's suffering and why he snapped in the last 2 chapters.

A dimly-lit room

A dimly-lit room. Silence took over it, only to be disturbed by the sound of vital signs monitors beeping steadily. A bed covered with light green sheets. There lied Kevin, unconscious, tucked in a light brown blanket. Uneven breaths escaped his lungs with the help of oxygen tubes on his nostrils. His bandaged arms laid motionless on each of his sides. Droplets of sweat shone on his cold, pale skin.

Next to the bed, sat Josh, resting his chin on his left hand, and his left elbow on his knee. His other arm still had the sling on. His leg shook up and down and a deep frown dominated his features. A glint of tears coated his olive green eyes and threatened to drip.

A faint groan caught the attention of those eyes. They turned to the source of that voice, Kevin. Josh jolted up and leaned over to examine Kevin's pained expression.

"Kevin?" he whispered.

Kevin, with eyes shut tight, slowly moved his head left and right while groaning. Then he half opened his eyes and said something, but his speech was very slurred it made it difficult for Josh to understand.

"Huh?" Josh said.

Kevin spoke tiredly, but this time Josh heard him, "W-where's Chloe?"

"You kicked her out—" Josh briefly checked his watch. It was a few minutes before midnight. Then he continued, "—an hour ago."

"What?" Kevin exclaimed. His speech was drowsy and slow. "Why would I do that?"

"You've been floating in and out of consciousness, dude. You kind of yelled at her to get the fuck out. I think you forgot who she was," Josh explained.

"Ah, man," Kevin whimpered and closed his eyes again. "What is wrong with me?"

The door of the room opened and that beautiful nurse who accompanied the doctor earlier approached them. Her long, brown hair was flowing behind her.

"Is he awake?" she asked in a quiet tone, careful not to disturb the patient. An angelic twinkle glowed in her stormy blue eyes.

Before Josh could answer, Kevin slurred, "Wh-what's this?" His eyes trailed a pair of transparent tubes that connected a hanging medical machine with the lower part of his neck, pumping blood in and out of his body through major arteries.