CHAPTER 23: Face Off

Duke was standing by the door with eyes as wide as saucers, trying to grasp the situation

Duke was standing by the door with eyes as wide as saucers, trying to grasp the situation. His jaw dropped when he saw that Kevin dared to aim that sharp, spear-like bar in his hands at him, getting ready for battle.

He saw the determination in Kevin's eyes then he straightened up and started laughing wickedly at Kevin, "Really, Kevin? Really? That's your plan? To poke me with a stick?"

Kevin, standing a distance away at the back of the bathroom, raised his voice and threatened, "This STICK will make you bleed."

Duke laughed even harder while leaning forward.

Kevin was too nervous to stay still as if the floor beneath him was moving. He could feel and hear his heartbeat pounding so hard in his chest. However, he kept a serious expression on his face with his weapon pointed at Duke about 8 feet away. His palms were sweaty that he had to open and close them several times to reduce their slippery effect on the broken bar he was holding.

Duke gathered his breath and said, while recovering from his laugh, "You're a feisty little guy, aren't ya? Tell ya what. Why don't you put that thing down before you hurt yourself?" He jerked his head pointing at the weapon, then he waved his palms at Kevin and continued, "And I'm willing to forget that this ever happened." He shook his head to assure him, "You don't have to worry about me getting mad. Deal?"

Kevin stared for a moment as if he was considering the offer. Then he took a deep breath since he was breathing so fast it was hard for him to think straight anymore. He raised his weapon higher and replied aggressively, "No deal!" to make a point to Duke that he was being serious.

Duke sighed, "Are you seriously going to do this? I mean, look at you." He pointed his hand at him. "You're shaking so hard, heh, you can barely even stand straight."

"I'm not scared!" yelled Kevin. "I'm just feeling cold."

Duke snorted as if he heard a joke.

Kevin yelled again, "I'm serious!"

Little drops of cold sweat coated Kevin's whole body. He was visibly trembling. Something was happening to him, but he refused to believe that what he was experiencing was crippling, confusing fear. Overwhelmed by the fear of dying, or worse; getting caught. God only knew what Duke would do to him if he caught him after this confrontation. A panic attack took over the boy's senses and threatened to mess with his mental stability.