CHAPTER 33: Hold My Halo

RANDOM QUESTION 6:

Why are you still reading this story?

Is it because of the plot, the action, the suspense, Kevin, Duke, Josh, the adorably sadistic author who loves torturing her characters and her readers with horrible cliffhangers *wink wink* or what?

"Kev," someone called behind the curtains.

Kevin gasped and darted his eyes, still fighting the nurses. "Josh?" he let out a soft whine when he saw a figure emerging from the curtains. The oxygen mask made his voice extra breathy.

Kevin let his guard down and that gave the nurses a chance to push him back to the bed. "Sir, you need to calm down," a nurse with soft features, a round face, and short, black hair urged Kevin.

Kevin grunted and squirmed as they tried to restrain him, but a hand pulled that nurse's shoulder. She turned back to the owner of that hand.

"Hey, let him go," a man demanded.

The nurses stepped away from Kevin, allowing him to finally see who called his name. It was Josh, hurrying to help with a concerned look on his reddish-bruised face. One of his eyes was swollen and almost shut.

Kevin choked on his cries when he saw Josh, "Oh, my God. Oh, my God." His voice was breaking.

Josh helped Kevin up with only his right arm because his other arm was wrapped with a cast and hanging from his shoulder by an arm-sling. Since he was shirtless, one could see that his gunshot-wounded shoulder was treated as well and covered with a bandage.

 Since he was shirtless, one could see that his gunshot-wounded shoulder was treated as well and covered with a bandage

"It's OK, Kev. I'm here. I'm here," Josh quickly assured him, looking him in the eyes.

Kevin removed the mask revealing sad, pouty, bluish lips. His eyes and lashes coated with tears. He dangled his bandaged feet and legs from the side of the bed before he moved his frail arms to hug Josh. The latter bowed then slowly sat next to Kevin, who was in a blue-dotted, white hospital gown.