✎ CHAPTER 4: Missing Person

In the middle of the dorm room, Josh fidgeted with the neck of his shirt

In the middle of the dorm room, Josh fidgeted with the neck of his shirt. His wrist-watch struck 2 AM. A suffocating pressure grew in his throat. One look at Kevin's tidy bed was enough to tell him that 'something doesn't feel right.'

Didn't Kevin say he was on his way here? Well, where is he?

Josh sat at the edge of his bed and pulled out his phone to call him, but the only response he got was:

"Hey, it's Kevin. Whoever you are, leave your—"

Being impatient, Josh never listened to the rest of any voicemail. Thus, he hung up and stared at the bed again. The phone still in his hand, he swiped it open and checked if Kevin left any messages. Nothing. The bad habit of biting his nails from when he was a kid came back.

This is not like him. Not like him at all.

Josh stopped to take a deep, calming breath. He chuckled at the way he made a big deal out of probably nothing. His overprotective brotherly instinct always blinded him of the fact that Kevin was old enough to take care of himself now.

He's a big boy. He doesn't have to ask your permission to stay out late.

With that somewhat comforting thought, Josh went to sleep.

The next morning, he peeked through sleepy eyelids to see that Kevin's bed remained tidy. He had never come back.

Josh felt a growing pain in the pit of his stomach. He slowly got up, taking in deep breaths to stop himself from overreacting.

Maybe he went to his morning classes already.

Josh kept lying to himself that everything was fine. He had to, otherwise, he would start panicking for, probably, nothing.

And so, he went to college, hoping that he might find Kevin there. He bumped into a lot of people, asking them, "Have you seen Kevin today?" Everyone's answer was, "No."

The day ended with no sign of Kevin. Josh tried calling him many times, but only to get transferred directly to that voicemail.

"Where the hell are you?" Josh muttered under his breath.

He sat at one of the benches outside of his department building. Panic grew inside him, damping his face with a thin layer of sweat.

Another thought crossed his mind, It's OK. He probably went home. Josh needed to explore all possibilities to find Kevin before losing his mind. Despite having a voice at the back of his head telling him "It's not OK. Kevin is not OK," he didn't want to believe it.

So, he lifted his phone and called Kevin's house.

A girl answered, "Hello."

"Hi, Chloe. What's up?"