CHAPTER 39: Hell Can't Wait

"How are you feeling, Kevin?" asked the doctor

Kevin stared with wide, fearful eyes at his doctor and the nurse, checking every detail about their appearance. He had a bad feeling, but he couldn't quite pin it down. Was it something about that door? Was it the room itself? Or was it something about Dr. Huffman and Nurse Rosaline that he just started to suspect? He could not pin that feeling down on anything in particular.

The doctor was wearing his white coat and white, semi-transparent, surgical gloves. The nurse was wearing blue scrubs and her hair was pulled up into a ponytail this time. She was holding a small box.

Josh whispered to Kevin, "What doesn't seem right? What's scaring you?"

Kevin whispered back, terror residing in his eyes, slowly destroying their lively color, "I-I think it's the room. It reminds me of the basement."

"Son," the doctor called, concerned. "I said how are you feeling?"

Kevin smiled nervously and answered, "I-I-I'm fine." He clearly wasn't. He was trying to keep it together before another horrible panic attack struck him. He had gotten tired of his sudden rapid heart beating already. His brain and heart burned painfully everytime that happened. He felt as if he was losing a piece of his life force with every attack. It rendered him tired, always tired. "I'm just a bit tired."

"Well, I got some news for you," the doctor said with a friendly smile. "I just finished talking to your mother. I told her that the new treatment worked fantastically up until a few hours ago when your body stopped recovering at an abnormally fast pace. I assume that the speed-recovery effect of the new treatment wore off, but don't fret. It treated most of the infection in your internal organs. The only thing that bothered me is that is was, in fact, what caused you to wake up early from the medically induced coma. It treated the sedatives in your body as a disease that needed to be treated. Now, you are recovering at a normal pace. The antibiotics treatment should kill this infection within a week or two. Meanwhile, keep that oxygen mask on you all the time. Your lungs were the least successful part of the treatment."

Kevin forced a smile for a second. "Thanks, doctor."

"Please, call me Ed. Just Ed."

Kevin nodded. He seemed to have calmed his nerves down a little when his mind focused on something else. He was glad that he was no longer in danger as long as he kept that antibiotics IV on him for the rest of his hospital stay.

The doctor came closer and said, "Now, would you mind pulling your gown up. I would like to check the surgical incision."

Kevin laid down and did exactly that, exposing his torso as the other half of his body stayed covered with a blanket. The doctor checked the wound for any problems, which was all patched up and cleaned.

"Fascinating," he admired the part that was stitched by the killer. He didn't say more about it in fear that he might upset Kevin. However, he did notice something that changed his expression to a serious face. "Hmm. This needs to be fixed."