✎ CHAPTER 3: Don't Leave Me Hanging

Awareness crept back into Kevin's mind

Awareness crept back into Kevin's mind. Eyes moved beneath their lids. Head rocked from side to side. And a horrible headache buzzed through his brain, forcing him to squeeze his eyes shut from the pain.

That was not the only pain he felt. His wrists stung. He tried moving them, expressing his discomfort with a groan, but they stayed in place. That gunshot wound in his leg throbbed, reminding him of the danger he went through. His eyes tried to resist the drowsiness and slowly opened.

Everything was a blur. Kevin wanted to rub his eyes but only a clank of metal came from above. From the way his body swayed, he could tell he was hanging. Those sore wrists above his head carried his weight.

As soon as his vision was restored, panic flashed across his face. His pounding heart matched his erratic breathing. He gasped through his nose. A scream was on its way out, but a piece of duct tape on his mouth made it muffled.

Terror deepened within him, draining the blood from his face. His arms hung above his head and refused to come down no matter how hard he shook them. The cuffs binding his wrists together dangled him by a hook in the ceiling. His feet were chained and barely touched the ground.

A breeze gave him a shiver, alerting him to the fact that he was half-naked. His clothes were missing except for a pair of boxers. A bandage wrapped around the bullet wound on his leg and it didn't seem to hurt as much.

His eyes went to the walls, left and right.

'What is this place?' was Kevin's first horrific thought.

The place resembled a basement—a rusty, spacious, dimly lit basement. The walls, floor, and ceiling were all made of concrete. There were no windows, only a door at the top of some stairs to his right, a steel vault door under the stairs, and a wooden door behind him. Not a single sound was to be heard except for his muffled breathing.

Wall speakers hung from the corners. Why would you have speakers in a place like this?

His nose wrinkled in disgust. And what's that awful smell?

Turning his head to the left where the lighting was brighter, his heart seized. There were dried bloodstains everywhere, an operation bed with pink stains, surgery tools on a metal table, a small refrigerator with a transparent front displaying all kinds of liquid medical supplies, and bloody hooks hanging all over the ceiling with decayed pieces of flesh glued on them.

Kevin tried to stand straight with his healthy leg and did his best to wiggle his wrists free from the hook.

God. They hurt so much. I can't budge. It's no use.

He slumped in his restraints and pain shot from his wrists to his shoulders.