CHAPTER 38: That Gut Feeling

The officer stood up and glared at Josh

The officer stood up and glared at Josh. "Excuse me?"

Josh stood between Kevin and Officer Steve. His uninjured arm raised stiff, ready to defend Kevin with all its might. Josh raised his voice, "I said, bullshit. I was there. You weren't the one who got us out of that place."

"Sir, please, calm down," Officer Steve urged. "You must be confused and couldn't recognize me because of the heavy showers that damped the place..."

Josh shook his head continuously through the officer's speech and kept saying, "No. No."

"... but trust me," The officer continued. "I was the first one to arrive."

Kevin watched the confusing clash between his exhausted friend who clearly hadn't gained enough sleep since his disappearance and the officer who was doing his job of protecting and serving. The tension grew in his face. This was not helping him get through his first panic attack since he left that dreadful basement. His breathing became more rapid, more shallow.

The officer looked concerned about the well-being of the person standing in front of him. The officer was confident with his speech and stance. He had a calm attitude and a trustworthy appearance.

Josh, on the other hand, was the opposite. a slight quiver shook his head while he talked, like a person losing his mind. Josh was incapable of reasoning with the officer or even with Kevin at this point. Was it the effect of lack of sleep? His thinning body? His rib fractures that made it difficult for him to take deep breaths? Whatever was happening to Josh, Kevin noticed its effects. Josh looked like hell. His appearance and the tics of his body gave the impression that he belonged to a mental hospital.

"Tell him, Kevin!" Josh said as he turned his head to Kevin. "Tell him what happened."

Kevin flinched. "I-I-I don't remember what happened." He took a deep breath then said through quivering lips, "The last thing I remember was you on the ground and then I heard a gunshot."

"Try harder!" Josh growled through gritted teeth and sent a terrifying glare to Kevin.

Kevin was taken aback by Josh's hostile response.

"Sir, that's enough!" The officer demanded, hovering a hand over his gun holster just in case.

Josh turned his attention to Officer Steve and told him, "It was Gale. Agent Gale Robinson was the one who saved us."

Kevin was already feeling jumpy from loud noises, and Josh's voice was too loud and too angry for him. That made his panic attack worse. He remembered something, but it wasn't what Josh wanted him to remember.

"Josh," Kevin whispered through his difficult breaths. Then his voice got even lower when he got closer to Josh and said, "When did last take your meds?"

Josh took a step back and a shock expression took over his eyes. "I can't believe you just said that."

Kevin immediately regretted his question. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried about you." Kevin stared down at Josh, pointing at his body, and said, "You look tired."