✎ CHAPTER 2: Never Saw It Coming

Later that night, speaking on his iPhone, Kevin's elated voice echoed off beige walls of the dimly-lit dormitory hallway

"Josh, you'll never believe what happened when you left!"

A few minutes after midnight, closed doors lined the empty hallway. No one had time to roam freely all night long during the nights preceding exams week.

Kevin gazed proudly at the golden Rolex in his hand. His prize tip had the power to change everything.

"I won't tell you what it is, dude. You'll need to bring your ass here and see it with your own eyes in order to believe it." He laughed. "All I can say is, we'll be launching our startup soon, bro."

As Kevin kept walking, something hard jingled under his foot. He looked down and found a set of keys.

"OK, see ya later." He ended the call.

Picking up the keys, he scoffed. Some idiot lost his keys.

He flipped the item over and some digits carved on them caught his eyes. 105, that must be the dorm room's number that the keys belonged to.

His head turned around until it stopped at the sight of a nearby door that had the exact number hanging on it.

With every step closer, the sounds of a loud, violent TV show became audible. If the resident of the room could sleep through that, he was the world's heaviest sleeper. Either way, knocking on the door to return the keys was unlikely to bother him.

Kevin ticked the Rolex in the pocket of his jeans and knocked on the door only once when the door opened immediately to a dark room.

A shadowy, well-built figure of a man appeared.

"Yes?" he asked with a deep, coarse voice.

Kevin couldn't see his facial features. He froze for a moment. That was fast! Was this guy expecting somebody? Finally, he extended his hand with the item he had found.

"Umm." Kevin gulped. "You dropped your keys..."

Standing in front of the towering man who was hiding in the shadows with horror music playing in the background of his room caused a primal fight-or-flight response to waken in the deepest part of Kevin's over-excited brain. Kevin suddenly became extremely aware of the fact that the hallway was empty.