CHAPTER 22: Choose Your Weapon

For the third time in less than 24 hours, Duke warned Kevin, "Remember

For the third time in less than 24 hours, Duke warned Kevin, "Remember. I don't like to be fooled."

Kevin pulled himself together. He shot an intensive, confident stare at Duke and said, "I wouldn't dare to even think about it."

"Good," Duke firmly responded.

He let go of the paper. Kevin put the paper on his lap and grabbed the pen with a sweaty palm. He dared to lie to Duke's face again, and he started executing his escape plan all at the same time. This is gonna turn bad at some point. Really bad, he thought. He sighed then started writing, but the force of writing made the pen penetrate the paper. Kevin looked at Duke who was standing there and saw what happened.

He huffed and said, "I'll getchya a book or something to write on."

As Duke went to his desk, Kevin quietly slid the damaged paper under his pillow and pulled one of the papers he hid there earlier. He punched a hole in that paper too and made it look identical to the old one, without making a sound. Duke came back and gave him an old book with a heart drawing on its cover, which was titled "Gray's Anatomy," by Henry Gray.

When Kevin placed the paper on the book and was about to start writing again, Duke raised the palm of his hand up and said, "Wait

When Kevin placed the paper on the book and was about to start writing again, Duke raised the palm of his hand up and said, "Wait."

Kevin quickly looked at Duke with a panic expression on his face. Oh, no. He saw me. He knows, he thought. He had trouble swallowing and breathing. His head heated and little drops of sweat were forming on his forehead. His mind was telling him, Confess and apologize now before things get messy. He might forgive you if you confessed. Confess. Confess!

Kevin was overwhelmed by uncontrolled fear. The events of last night were more damaging to him, psychologically, than he had imagined. Not just that, but everything that had happened to him here started to catch up to him. Every memory created here raced through his mind in just that split second. Memories like: His first struggle with Duke while SAW's theme was playing. That haunting song he first heard when he met Duke in the basement. All that time he spent hanging alone and screaming for help. The Lumbar puncture procedure that could have paralyzed him. The moment he learned that he lost his kidney. The night Duke tried to rape him when he was in his most helpless conditions. And finally, the time he realized that Duke was drugging him and sexually using him this whole time.