CHAPTER 37: Heaven Can Wait

About the previous chapter: did anyone catch the reference behind the NB+ label on the blood bag?

In case anyone is still wondering what it is, NB = Nuclear Blood. It's my next story. The prologue is already uploaded on my profile :)

Kevin's eyelids flinched to the sound of people arguing

"He was just a child!" Jennifer yelled in a form of an aggressive whisper.

A gruff voice replied, "No child would do what he did. He almost killed our daughter!"

"It was an accident! And he's my son," she hissed. "I love him as much as I love Chloe."

Kevin half opened his eyes and listened, still confused about the world around him.

Mike's voice toned down. "He's not normal, Jenny. You have to see that." He spoke calmly to convince her, "We wasted so much on him and he never really changed."

"Stop it. There's nothing wrong with him," Jennifer said.

Kevin slowly fluttered his drowsy eyes and they steadily grew wide. He finally had a sense of what was happening.

His mom was standing up for him.

"That blood," Mike tone turned low and sad. He paused for a moment then continued, "That blood could have cured Chloe." He shifted his voice back to a loud tone when he said, "And you gave it to that psychopath you're calling your kid!"

Kevin woke up completely. He turned his head in the direction of the argument and saw his mom and a manly figure past her. She was facing Mike and had her back turned at Kevin. He saw her hands squeeze into fists.

Jennifer couldn't hold her temper any longer. "Don't say that about my kid!" she screamed with her whole body.

Mike flinched and cowered.

Jennifer continued yelling at Mike, "I've had it with you always talking about him like that."

Mike watched her snap with fear in his eyes. Fear that he would lose his lovely, obedient wife.

He twitched a smile and said, "Jenny, honey."

Jennifer replied, "Don't you dare say another word."

"I didn't mean to upset you." Mike approached her with slow steps, raising his arms up in an attempt to hug her.

"Don't." She raised a firm finger straight next to her face and closed her eyes. Her demeanor changed to a frightening scowl that sent shivers down Mike's spine.

Mike stepped backward, shocked by Jennifer's new behavior. He looked pathetic and defeated.

Jennifer pointed that finger to the door and said through gritted teeth, "Get out. And never come near him again."