Chapter Two

BROOKLYN

BROOKLYN

"Let me see it again," My best friend Tori says while tugging on my hand to see the ring.

It has been official for over a month now, but she just got back from visiting family in Texas. So, Tori didn't know about the engagement.

I'm still in shock myself.

I mean I never thought I would have met Liam. Let alone get married. It just seems unreal.

"Beyoncé was right. If you like it you should put a ring on it. You guys were only dating a few months," she says as she gazes at the beautiful rock that is sitting on my finger.

"I'll be right back." I yank my hand out of her grasp and grabbed an envelope off of my dresser.

"I mean you guys haven't even moved in with each other," Tori says with a shocked tone.

I then make my way back towards the bed and crawl on top of it.

"Here, I sent these out a few days ago and I wanted to give you yours in person." she takes the wrapped card out of my fingertips.

I hear the sound of her tearing away the paper and watch as she opens the card and reads.

"July twenty-fourth," she smirks.

"What's wrong with it?" I ask.

"It's just, even if we dare to speak his name, you guys started dating on was it, July twenty-fourth? Coincidence, I think not?"

It was true. Maybe I was a little obsessed with that date because it may be written everywhere, but Liam doesn't know. Is it bad I haven't told him?

In my defense, he did say I could pick the date and I quote, "Any date, I just can't wait to have you as my wife."

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I just like the number twenty-four."

"Okay, we can just see if that is the story when Spencer shows up," she smirks.

"What? He doesn't even know," I say.

"You can't be mad at me. I may have done something." She gives a guilty half smile. "Let's just say one of these cards may have accidentally ended up in his mailbox."

"What! Tori!" I shriek. "Why did you do that?"

"Admit it. You aren't over him," she says with a blank face.

I can't deny in my head that I still love him. If he showed up outside my door right now I couldn't help, but launch myself into his arms and feel his warmth once again.

I hated the fact he left and how he didn't tell me. I loved him so much that my heart would explode at any minute, but I'm with Liam now and he loves me. He's good for me.

The room is suddenly quiet, with only the thoughts in my head talking in whispers.

"What happened to you guys anyway? I mean I know bits and pieces, but you never told me the whole story," she says.

I explain to her what happened. From the day we met in the café and how he did stupid, but cute things to get my attention. Like, pay to have my favorite coffee named after me. He was the known rich boy and I did have a status around campus. It wasn't that cliché story where a rich boy finds a nerd. I wasn't a nobody around town.

I always enjoyed boys chasing me and I let Spencer chase me. I would give him a ladder and yank it out from under him when he feels like he's getting anywhere. That was until the tables were turned. He flipped the game and all he had to do was stop the chasing.

It made me realize I enjoyed his company. Not for the love of the game, but him. So, I did one thing I never thought I would do.

I became a cat.

The hunter.

I was the one chasing for a change and obviously, I won.

We turned out to be the power couple at DB University. It was Brooklyn and Spencer. People talked about how our names rolled off the tongue so smooth, but they say what goes up must come down and that's what happened and I remember it like it was yesterday.

It was a rainy Saturday afternoon. I didn't want to go out and Spencer surprised me by showing up with my favorite flowers, red roses.

We talked for what felt like hours and like any couple, of course, we made out a little, but then I got a call from my parents. They were asking about the break and if I would be coming home.

I said yes and that got a long discussion of what we were to do once I got home to South Carolina.

Spencer just happened to live there as well.

Once I finally got off the phone I walked back to the couch and he was gone. All that was left was a note that said I'm Sorry, I will explain later. Later has never come.

I left him messages and called him over and over again, but no answer. He never called me back and I haven't talked to him since.

"Now, I don't know if he's going to show up and I don't want that stress, especially on an already stressful day." I felt a tear stream down my cheek.

"I'm so sorry. If I would've known I wouldn't bring it up," Tori says.

"It's okay."

Just then a knock echoes throughout the house.

"I'll get it," Tori says, getting off the bed and walks out of the bedroom.

About five minutes later she comes back with a surprised look across her face.

"Tori, what's wrong?" I question.

"Well, Spencer King was at the door," she says surprised.

I probably should have knocked on wood earlier.