Chapter Thirty-five

BROOKLYN

BROOKLYN

I am running so fast down a dark hallway. I see him. He is laying down on the ground bleeding. I try to run faster. Faster. Faster. I can't seem to run fast enough and he is just lying there lifeless.

"Liam!" I scream. I keeping running, but I don't make any progress down the hall.

So much blood. Way too much blood is coming from his chest, where he shot him.

"Help!" I shout, but it is too late.

Finally, I make my way towards him as I kneel beside him.

"Wake up!" I sob. But, he doesn't wake up. He just is so cold. Way too cold.

I sit up panting from the horrifying nightmare. Wow. It was so real. Way too real for my liking. A tear runs down my cheek. It was too real. A light sob escapes my lips. I pull my knees up to my chest and hug them. I want to see him. I want to see Liam now.

***

I glance at the time on my phone before opening his front door. Once inside, I see all the lights are off. He is asleep. Of course, he would be when it is two in the morning. I should be asleep too, but I can't think or do anything without knowing he is safe. I just have to know he is safe.

I move slowly in the dark, trying hard not to hit something. When I get to his door it is shut. He always sleeps with his door shut for some reason. I am the opposite of this since I always have my door wide open when I sleep, but now that has changed. Ever since that day I haven't been able to be so vulnerable in my weakest state.

I open his door slowly so it doesn't creak. Then, I shut the door behind me before climbing onto his bed.

"Brooklyn?" Liam's sleepy voice questions through the darkness.

"Hi," I say, my voice cracking.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"I had a nightmare and needed to know you were safe." He grabs my arm and pulls me down to sit beside him. I immediately cuddle up beside him.

"I love you." He murmurs and his lips brush my forehead.

I inhale, savoring this moment. "I love you too."

I let my eyes close as the sound of his soft breaths carries me into the darkness.

***

My eyes open slowly and I squint as light pours into the room. It takes me a couple of seconds to remember why I am here is Liam's bed, but only one thing registers in my mind. He is safe. He is alive.

I put my fingers through his hair as his head gently lays on my stomach. Normally when we wake up he is spooning me, but this is a first. His eyes open and my hand freezes on his scalp.

"Keep doing that." He murmurs, sleep pours from his voice.

I do what he asks and thread my fingers through his hair once again.

"I could get used to waking up like this. With you in my bed." In one swift movement, he moves so that he is on top of me.

"Oh." I smile and trace a finger down his face and on his jawline.

"Yes." He mumbles before his lips meet mine.

I kiss him back and we begin to move in sync. His tongue then invades my mouth and fights with mine.

Liam pulls back and begins to trail gentle kisses down my neck. "I love you." He breathes.

My fingers go underneath his shirt and I run them over his skin. His skin is so hot and my fingers feel on fire as it traces over his soft skin. That's when I feel soft wool like a patch and he flinches. I shoot up out of the bed.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." I say horrified.

"It's okay." He responds and moves his shirt up so I can see it.

This is the first time I have seen where Elijah shot him. I put my fingers on the bandage and trace them around it.

"Do you need to replace them?" I ask.

"Yes, but I can." He gets out of bed and heads over to a tall black dresser. On it is a package of bandages and medical tape. He grabs it and looks into the mirror.

"Let me." I walk over and take the bag out of his hands.

He is already taking off the old bandage and it isn't as bad as I thought. Neat stitches close off the wound.

I take out a large wool bandage from the bag and hold it over the sensitive area gently. Then I take out the medical tape and rip a piece off with my teeth.

"Don't do that." He warns.

I look at him from under my lashes. "What?"

"Ripping that with your teeth."

"Oh, like this." I rip off another strand.

He glares at me as I secure the bandage with the tape.

Then, he lifts me and puts me on the bed. Liam crawls over me once again.

"I don't want to hurt you." I breathe.

"You haven't and won't." He trails kisses down my neck.

If only he knew that I already hurt him...