5 • madeline

I had my entire project finished on Tuesday.

Wednesday, after school, I spent the entire evening researching Australian wildflowers on my laptop. I saved most of the pictures.

Thursday, I rushed home and ran inside, all the way to my bedroom. I put down my backpack and put away my school work. I quickly changed into a big tee shirt, denim shorts, and pulled my hair into a high ponytail.
I got out a small, thin watercolor canvas and my watercolor paints.

I started out painting everlasting daisies. I painted them in all different colors. Then, I added some royal bluebells. When I was satisfied with those flowers, I lined the whole canvas with a border of golden wattles. I finished with a few green bird flowers in the upper corner.

When I was completely happy with the canvas, I left it to dry. By that time, I was ready for bed, so I changed into pajamas and fell asleep the minute my head hit the pillow.

When I woke up Friday morning, the first thing I did was sign the canvas in the lower corner. Then, I got ready.

I put on my uniform, straightened my hair, did my makeup, and put on a light pink lipstick. I skipped breakfast, beings I couldn't get out of the house fast enough, and was on my way to school.

Lucky for me, the day went by pretty fast. I made it to history, and was the first to present my project.

Mr. Hemmings watched me closely the whole time, smiling whenever I mentioned a topic that we had gone over in the library.

After me, went Jada. Then Georgina. Cheryl had completely forgotten about her project, and didn't finish it.
The rest of the class presented, and once we all finished we had about 5 minutes left of class.

"Great job, guys!" Mr. Hemmings gushed, "You guys nailed it. I'm going to go ahead and start grading your presentations, so you should be able to see what you got soon. You guys can use these last few minutes for free time."

The class erupted into murmurs and conversations about parties, and weekend plans, and wondering what grade they would get for their work. Jada, Georgina, and Cheryl all giggled about something that had happened to Jada at lunch, but I couldn't pay attention. I watched Mr. Hemmings, counting down the minutes until the bell rang.

Finally, it did. Everyone spilled out of the classroom, including Mrs. Reynolds, but I stayed behind.

"Mr. Hemmings?" I asked, standing before the desk.

He looked up with a big smile, "Hey, Madeline."

I blushed, "I uh, I have something for you."

He looked at me curiously, while I slowly pulled the canvas out of my backpack. When he saw it, his eyes widened.

"Mad-"

I spoke quickly, feeling my face heat up, "I remembered what you said, about Australian wildflowers. And you said you liked my watercolors. So I thought you'd like this."

"Madeline," he beamed, standing up from his chair. He towered over me. "It's amazing!"

I smiled, feeling relieved.
He carefully took it out of my hands, looking over it with a giant smile.

"This is perfect! Madeline, thank you!" He looked so genuinely happy. "Can I pay you? I can't just take this, you must have worked so hard."

"No!" I protested, "Really! It's for you, it's a present. Please, don't worry about it." I chuckled.

"Madeline!" He gushed again. I loved the sound. "Thank you!"

Before I even knew what was happening, his arms were around me, squeezing me in a tight hug. I was sure I was probably shaking. I squeezed him back, enjoying it nonetheless.

He pulled away after a few moments, staring at the canvas again.

"This is the sweetest thing. I can't get over it. It's so beautiful, Madeline, I can't believe you did this."

"Stop." I giggled.

"No," he laughed, "I'm amazed. You're amazing."

My knees felt weak.

I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could, Celia and Trish walked in.

"Maddie?" Celia called. They stopped when they saw me and Mr. Hemmings together. We jumped a bit, startled, and I could've swore I saw a blush on his face.

"Oh, hi!" Trish spoke up, making it less awkward.

"These are my friends," I chuckled, "Celia and Trish."

They both smiled and waved politely.

"Nice to meet you both." Luke returned.

"We hate to interrupt," Celia explained, "But we really must be stealing her."

Mr. Hemmings laughed, "Go ahead. Bye, Madeline, you girls have a great weekend!" He waved us off, "Thank you again, Madeline, for the painting. I don't know if I can thank you enough."

I smiled at him one last time, before Celia and Trish pulled me away.

When we were out of the hallway, they both squealed at me.

"It looks like he really liked it!" Trisha cheered.

I beamed, "He loved it! I'm so excited."

"That's great!" Celia exclaimed, "and now, we must celebrate."

"Celebrate?" I asked, "What do you mean?"

"Well you know the guy I used to like, Tanner? The one who graduated last year?" She asked.

Me and Trish nodded.

"Well, he goes to the university of Seattle now, and he invited us all to a party at his frat's house. We have to go!"

I considered it for a moment.
"What do I tell mom?" I asked.

"Just tell her you'll be at my house for the night. You too, Trish!" She replied.

I shrugged, "What the hell. Okay, I'm in."

"Me too!" Trish agreed. "This is going to be fun."