15 • madeline

I walked through the hallway, headed towards my locker. It was Thursday now, and I was hardly getting through the week.

The only thing keeping me motivated was late night phone calls with Luke and the one "study session" that I convinced him to stay after school for on Tuesday.

I pushed my hair out of my face. I was so tired, and all I really wanted was to go home. The last bell had just rung and all I had to do was grab my laptop from my locker.

Then I saw him.

Travis. He was waiting by my locker, and I immediately tensed up.

"You've been avoiding me." He stated, when I got close enough.

"That's not new." I snapped, "Move."

He rolled his eyes, but scooted over so I could open my locker.

"Fair enough." He mumbled. "Look, I'm sorry. About the party. I acted like a real ass wipe. I'm sorry. And I'm sorry I hurt you. I shouldn't put my hands on you and I don't know why I do that. I just, I don't know. You just work me up sometimes. You get me heated, because I care. Because I love you. I still love you, Madeline."

"Trav, don't." I said. "Don't try to justify your actions. You aren't going to make this my fault."

"It was both of our faults. Can we agree with that?"

"No!"
I even laughed at him, in disbelief.
I tried to turn away, but he grabbed my arm.

"Just talk to me, will you?" He said, pulling me back to him. "Come here."

"Travis." I sighed.

"I'm sorry." He said, "I'm really sorry. Let me make it up to you, will you? We can go get sushi, or Thai tea. I know they're your favorites."

He had his hands on both of my shoulders, rubbing them. He rubbed all the way down my arms. I opened my mouth to speak.

"Sorry to interrupt. But I'm going to need to steal her."

I turned around, seeing Luke immediately. My face reddened.

"Madeline," He said cooly, "Mrs. Reynolds needs to see you."

I nodded slowly, and he led me away. When we were far enough away, he spoke.

"So Travis is the ex, huh?" He asked through gritted teeth. He was looking straight ahead.

"You know him?"

"I teach the bastard." He spat, "U.S. History. Right before your class comes in."

That completely went over my head. I didn't even think about that before.

"Shit." I sighed.

He put a hand on my shoulder and turned me into Mrs. Reynolds' classroom.

"Where's Mrs. Reynolds?" I asked, as he shut the door.

"She left." He said simply.

"She doesn't need me?" I raised an eyebrow.

"No." He shook his head, "I just couldn't stand to watch that asshole put his hands all over you anymore."

He marched over to his desk and sat down, visibly frustrated.

"Why are you so upset?" I asked. "I didn't do anything."

"I'm not upset with you." He sighed, "I just don't want him touching you. I don't want any of these boys touching you."

I crossed my arms. "Jealous?"

He gave me a look. "These boys aren't shit."

"I know that." I laughed, "That's why I'm not with any of them. We were just talking."

"Why?" He asked. "He's horrible to you. I wish you'd be more careful, but you just won't, Madeline. It's so frustrating."

I scoffed, "Luke, what the hell? Why are you so grouchy all of the sudden?"

"I'm not. By the way, I won't be here tomorrow."

"At school? Why?" I asked.

"I have a job fair to attend."

I frowned a bit.
"Well, alright. Well, I'm going out with Celia and Trish tomorrow night."

"Oh, are you?" He raised his eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes, "We're not going to any dumb party. We're going to Oscar's."

"What's Oscar's?"

"It's a local arcade. There's bowling, and pool, and darts, and a bunch of other games. And food, and stuff. A lot of students here go hang out there. They're open until like 3:00am."

"That sounds fun." He nodded, "Are you really going to be out until 3:00am though?"

I shrugged.

"Great." He huffed.

"What now?" I groaned.

"I don't know. It doesn't matter, go have fun. I'll leave you alone."

"Luke," I whined, "are we really having a fight right now? Over what?"

"I just- ugh!" He groaned, grabbing his backpack. "I picture you out all night getting into trouble and putting yourself in danger and talking to creepy boys and getting hurt."

"Luke, I'll be fine. You're overreacting."

"I'm not!" He said, defensively. "How am I overreacting?"

"You're treating me like a child."

"Madeline, you are!"

My mouth opened, wanting to spit something harsh back. But I was too hurt. I shook my head and spun on my heels.

"Whatever." I grumbled. "Have fun at your job fair."

"Madeline." He sighed, but I slammed the door behind me. I turned to walk away and bumped straight into Celia and Trish.

"Mads." Celia said with wide eyes, "we were just looking for you. Are you okay?"

I forced a smile, "I'm fine. Come on."