11 • madeline

Luke called me everyday that week, and stayed up for hours to talk to me. When Thursday arrived, I felt so close to him. I gave him space in class so no one got suspicious, but once class was over, it was game on.

"So I know you said no more parties-"

Luke groaned, "Madeline, no more!"

We sat in the library together, after school. I was working on my French homework, and he was writing another essay, but I wanted his company so I told him to pretend he was tutoring me. That didn't take much persuasion.

I laughed, "Hear me out."

"No," he laughed back, "I don't want to hear you out. I don't want you off at some random party getting wasted, you'll get hurt. Men are animals."

"Yes, but," I continued, "I have to be there. It's Trisha's birthday. Celia is planning it, but we're throwing it at Cheryl's house so she doesn't get suspicious. It's a surprise party. All of our friends will be there, it won't be totally random."

"Will her mother be there?"

I batted my eyes sweetly.

He chuckled, "That's a no. Will there be alcohol?"

I smiled sheepishly, batting my eyes some more.

"I thought so." He sighed, "Well I can't make your decisions for you Madeline, just be good will you? When is it?"

"Friday."

He frowned, "That's tomorrow. So you're not coming over?"

"I can come over Saturday."

He gave me puppy eyes, "I'll miss you until then."

I grinned. "Good."

"But seriously," He continued, "I want you to behave."

I challenged him, "Are you going to make me?"

He looked around the library, making sure no one was around to see us. When he saw the coast was clear, he turned back to me, grabbing my chin between his thumb and pointer finger. He pulled my face about an inch away from his.

"Madeline," he began, "I do not want you getting drunk at that party. I want you to go, have fun, but be safe. I will not be very happy with you otherwise."

He was trying to intimidate me, but he was more so just turning me on, to be honest.

"Do you understand me?"

"Yes."

"Yes what?"

I smiled, "Yes, Mr. Hemmings."

He smirked back at me.
"Good girl." He whispered, letting go of my face.

I sat back normally, even though I was melting on the inside.
He knew he was driving me crazy, I think it pleased him.

After Luke and I left, I drove myself to Celia's house. Trisha would still be at cheer practice, and didn't know anything about me and Celia meeting up. We had some party planning to do.

"Cheryl couldn't make it," Celia said, sitting on her bed beside me, "since you know, she's at cheer with Trish."

Jada and Georgina didn't know any of my other friends, but Cheryl was quite close with Celia as well, and super close with Trish since they cheered together. Jada and Georgina would probably be at the party too though, beings Cheryl was doing some inviting as well.

"So who are we inviting?" I asked.

"I'm inviting Tanner," she smirked, "We're also inviting Gabe and Cameron, obviously. And Gabe really wants to bring Austin, Tyce, and Jax so I told him he could. And Cameron is bringing Nelson. And we need to invite Davis. He and Trish have been flirting a lot lately, I think she likes him a lot."

"I think so too!" I agreed. "Any more girls?"

"Probably Mackenzie, Tara, Amber, Louise, Kelsey, Kirsten, Brenda, and Sasha. And all of the cheerleaders, of course, who want to bring their boyfriends, which is fine. Most of them are football players, so they all know Trish. And then I don't know who else Cheryl is inviting."

I nodded, "Okay. I'm so excited!"

"Me too! If anyone tells her about it, I'm going to be pissed." She laughed. "So, are you inviting Luke?"

"Oh, right," I said sarcastically, "that's a great idea. Let him get caught drinking with all of his underage students."

She snorted, "Good point."

We both laughed.

"How was your study sesh?" She winked.

"Good," I smiled, "Celia, it's scary. I really like spending time with him. And when I'm not with him, I find myself thinking about him a lot. It's been so long since I've felt this way, all giddy, with butterflies."

"Well in your defense, your last relationship was enough to scare you away from boys forever."

"I know," I nodded, "but Luke is so different. Like, Travis was possessive. He didn't want me texting or hanging out with anyone but him, and made me cut off every guy friend I had. But Luke is protective, and only worries about me being safe at parties, or wearing my seatbelt, or making sure I eat breakfast in the morning. And Travis got mad if I didn't answer his texts or calls, but Luke stays up and makes sure I finish my homework first, and then calls. And Travis of course was physical, and Luke acts like he's afraid I'll break every time he touches me. He's so different, Celia. And he's kind, and makes me feel important and special. And Travis just made me feel less than him. I haven't even spent that much time with him, but what I have spent has been better than me and Trav's entire relationship."

Celia smiled, "That's good! That's a good sign. He's older, so he's more mature. I'm sure he understands you a lot better. And if he's risking so much to keep talking to you, he's obviously interested."

"Sometimes I can't tell," I admitted, "Sometimes it's like he just wants to be friends, and then other times I know he's flirting with me."

"He's probably conflicted. Beings you're a minor and a student of his."

I nodded, "It's weird, isn't it?"

She shrugged, "Not the weirdest thing I've heard. I'll be sure to make a good joke out of it though, at the wedding."

I rolled my eyes, and hit her with her pillow. She collapsed on her bed in a fit of laughter.