14 • madeline

I woke up before he did. The sunshine burst through the windows into the room, right on his face. He looked beautiful.

His messy hair, his lips slightly parted, his arms still around me. I rolled onto my stomach, slightly on top of him, and ran my light pink fingernails through his hair. His eyes fluttered open, and he smiled looking at me.

"Good morning." He muttered.

"Your hair is a mess." I giggled softly.

He scoffed, "You're a mess."

"You love it."

"You're right."

I grinned, moving my hand down from his hair to his face and caressing it softly. He relaxed under my touch, and smiled sweetly. I brought my lips to his face and kissed his cheek gently, laying back down on his chest.

He chuckled, running his fingers up and down my spine.
"This is nice." He said.

I yawned, "What is?"

"Waking up with you."

I blushed, hiding my face in his chest. "Stop."

"What are your plans for the day?" He asked.

I shrugged, "I just want to stay here with you."

He grinned, "I was hoping you'd say that. Are you hungry? I can make waffles."

"I like waffles." I shrugged with a smile. "Sounds good to me."

We lazily got out of bed and made our way to the kitchen. I sat on the counter while he got out everything to make the waffle mix, and his waffle maker.

He hooked his phone up to his speaker, and started blaring Frank Sinatra. He started snapping his fingers, and dancing along like a total dork. His cheesiness made me laugh.

"Some day," He sang, "when I'm awfully low. When the world is cold, I will feel a glow just thinking of you, and the way you look tonight."

I threw my head back in a fit of laughter, and he helped me off the counter. He twirled me around.

"Yes, you're lovely. With your smile so warm." He put a hand to my face, making me blush.
"And your cheeks so soft. There is nothing for me, but to love you and the way you look tonight."

I kept giggling. He had an amazing voice. We waltzed around the kitchen together, he kept spinning me around and pulling me closer.

"With each word, your tenderness grows. Tearing my fears apart. And that laugh, that wrinkles your nose, touches my foolish heart."
He dipped me, and I squealed with laughter.

"You're such a good singer!" I beamed. He blushed.

"I promised to serenade you, didn't I?" He said with a cheeky smile.

"Yes," I laughed, "and I was going to hold you to it."

He chuckled.
We went back to making waffles, humming along to his music. It was really fun cooking beside him. We made a bunch of them, topping them with things like blueberries, strawberries, and chocolate chips.

When we were done we took our food to his table and sat down.

"So," He said, "I want to know everything about you."

"Everything?" I asked, with a mouthful of berries.

He laughed. "Yeah! Everything. What are the things that make you, you?"

"Well," I started, "you already know about my passion with art. Nature too, obviously. Everything that grows interests me, really. And the sky, I love the sky. I could cloud watch for hours, or just gaze at the stars. I could hike, or camp, or explore forever and never really get tired of it. I love being outdoors, and I love flowers, and trees, and animals. That's why it appears in my artwork so much. My room is practically filled with plants and flowers and succulents."

He chuckled, smiling at me. He put a hand under his chin, listening intently.
"I like that you're so interested in the earth, and exploration. Do you plan on traveling a lot?"

"Yes!" I said, "I think about adventure constantly."

"I love that." He grinned, "And the stars? Do they interest you?"

"I'm not a big science girl, but astronomy is really cool." I said. "And as cheesy as it is, I like the astrological viewpoints."

"Astrology, huh?" He chuckled, "What's your sign?"

"Aquarius." I grinned.

He smirked, "Of course you are! Creative, intellectual, and stubborn."

I rolled my eyes, "What's yours?"

"Cancer."

"Emotional and sensitive? Cute."

He pushed me playfully.

"Tell me more." He said.

"Well, I told you about Celia and Trish. They're the best. We do everything together, we have since we were little. Me and Celia met in first grade. She kicked a dodgeball in my face by accident, and knocked out my loose tooth. Instant friendship. And then Trish moved here in third grade. She was super shy, and didn't really want to speak to anyone. But me and Celia kind of forced our love on her."

He laughed, "That's adorable. They're special to you, yeah? Who else?"

I thought for a moment, "My mom has shaped me the most. She's like, the most important person in my life. She sacrificed so much for me and she continues to do so. She's Wonder Woman."

He smiled, "So you're close with your family?"

I nodded, "A small family, but a loving one. Me, and my mom.

"What about your dad?" He asked.

I scrunched my nose, "Not in the picture."

He shook his head, "Madeline-"

"No, don't apologize." I interrupted. "It's totally fine. He left when I was two, so I don't remember much."
I tried to chuckle, "Just that he didn't want me."

"What do you mean by that?" He asked.

"I just don't think he wanted me, you know? He tried to make it work with my mom, even though they were constantly fighting. But once I came
along it changed for them. It got harder."

He shook his head again, "Madeline. You can not blame yourself for that."

"I mean, I know. It's his fault for being a total piece of shit. But it's clear he wasn't ready to be a dad. He didn't want that."

"Does it still bother you?" He asked softly, putting a hand on my knee.

I titled my head, thinking hard.

"I think I may have a few abandonment issues. But I really search for love in people. And I attach myself to people really quickly. I'm sure you've noticed." I let out a sad laugh. "I just really cling to people, you know? And I have this constant fear of being left by everyone I meet. That's why I put up with so much shit from people. That's why I put up with my ex for so long. I chase after people who don't treat me right, but I don't care, because I just want that validation. I crave validation. That's why, I think, I got so upset about you ignoring me in class."

He frowned, "I would have never even considered that viewpoint. I'm so sorry, Madeline. I'm sorry I brought you back to a place like that. A feeling like that."

I shrugged, "It isn't your fault I'm fucked up."
I chuckled nervously.

He scooted closer, grabbing both of my hands in his.

"Do not say that. You're not fucked up." He said. He stared into my eyes so sincerely. "I mean it. You've been through so much. Way more than you should've. I'm so sorry you had to do that. But it's made you so strong, and so mature. It doesn't make you fucked up. Maybe you're a little fragile, but what's so wrong with that? I'll just remember to be gentle with you."

I leaned in, resting my head on his shoulder. A comforting feeling came from Luke. Whether he liked me, or just wanted to be my friend, either way. I just felt so at home when he was around.

I was getting far too used to him. And it scared me.