27 • madeline

"Why do I fuck everything up?" I asked, taking a gulp of the Smirnoff ice in my hand. I coughed. "And how do you two like these?"

Trish gave me a small smile, "They get the job done good enough."

"And you don't fuck everything up." Celia assured me. "He's the one who upset you, you didn't do it."

"Did I overreact?" I asked. The vodka was putting me in my feelings. I didn't think that one through.

"No," Celia shook her head, "but I will tell you Maddie, you need to face your problems sometimes instead of running from them."

"She's right." Trish agreed, "I mean, I completely understand that he shouldn't have lashed out on you out of jealousy. But my mom always tells me in relationships, you're going to argue. It's inevitable. You just have to remember it's the two of you against the issue, not the two of you against each other."

I stuck my lower lip out and pouted, and took another gulp.
The girls laughed and each sipped theirs.

"What do I do now?" I asked.

"Has he texted you?" Celia asked.

I shrugged, "I turned my phone off."

Trish cringed, "Harsh!"

I groaned, "I know, I just want him to realize that he can't act like a baby every time he gets jealous. I'm the minor here!"

The girls laughed.

"Seriously guys," I tried not to chuckle, "What about Tanner? And Davis? Do they act like this?" 

"All the time!" Trish said, and Celia agreed.

"It's a guy thing." Celia nodded, "They're like protective hounds."

I thought for moment, "I'm just used to yelling, and screaming, and hitting, and pushing, like when Travis would get mad at me. He'd get mad because he considered me to be property. Luke just gets insecure. I need to be more understanding of that. But when he's upset, he's passive aggressive, and grumpy, and has an attitude with me, and instead of telling me exactly what's wrong and how I need to fix it, he makes me work for it."

"Yep," Trish laughed, "that's a man for you."

"But like you said," Celia butted in, "he's insecure. You told us his last relationship was full of cheating, and lies, and he's probably used to being hurt just like you are. He's probably expecting the worst, just like you. But I can tell you both care about each other. Which means you just have to be willing to work through these petty little arguments, you just have to."

I nodded, and then frowned, looking down at the now empty bottle in my hand. A tear fell down my cheek. I was an emotional drunk.

"You guys are right." I whispered. "I don't want to lose him."

"Then don't." Trish said. "You are the only thing getting in your own way."

"How do I apologize?" I asked, even though my stubborn brain thought he should be the one apologizing.

"My parents do this thing," Trisha smiled, "where instead of apologizing after a fight, they'll come up to the other and say three things that they love about them. And then, the other has to return the favor. Then, they work it out together. It's sweet."

"You have to swallow your pride and call the poor boy." Celia said, "Assure him."

I nodded.

Celia gave my hand a comforting squeeze, "Come on, let's get comfy first."

I slipped on an oversized black Def Leppard tee shirt with long black socks, and pulled my hair into a high ponytail. Trish put on her blush pink silk pajama set, and Celia put on Tanner's hoodie and adidas shorts. Trish put her hair in a messy bun and started French braiding Celia's hair into pigtails, and I excused myself to the back porch.

Reluctantly, I turned my phone back on.
13 texts, and 7 missed calls from Luke.
I didn't even check them, instead, I took a long breath and dialed his number.
He picked up immediately.

"Are you kidding me, Madeline?!" He shouted, "I've been worried sick all evening! Why would you do that to me? Why the hell-"

"You're passionate, about so many things." I interrupted him.

"W-what?"

"You're understanding and you're so easy to talk to about everything. You make me feel safe, and valued, and protected."

"Madeline-"

"Trisha's parents always tell each other three things that they love about the other after they fight." I explained, even though I knew he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

He was silent, for a couple of minutes.

I was about to speak, but he cut through the silence.

"You're gentle with me," He said softly, "when I need it the most. You're selfless and you put others first. You love with your entire heart."

I smiled.

"Madeline," He sighed, "I'm sorry."

"No," I shook my head, even though he couldn't see me, "I'm sorry. I overreacted."

"I was being an asshole." Luke insisted, "It isn't your fault you were paired with Logan, and you can be friends with whoever you want. I just get so jealous and-"

"And I need to be more understanding of that." I cut in. "You're coming from a dishonest relationship, and that hurt you. And I need to understand that you've been hurt badly in the past, just like I have. I have to be patient with you, because you're patient with me. I'm learning. You're teaching me. You're teaching me so much more than just history, Luke, you're teaching me about relationships, and how to open my heart to someone else the right way. You're teaching me how I want to be treated, and how I want to treat others. Luke, I just want to make you happy."

"You do make me happy!" He gushed, "You make me so happy, Madeline, that's why I worry! I just don't want to lose this."

"Neither do I." I agreed.

"We're going to argue. We're going to fight." He said, "But we're going to make this work."

"Luke," I breathed, "I want this to be real. I need this to be real. I want this to be an actual relationship. I want to call you my boyfriend."

"You will, Madeline." He said. "Just be patient, I'm begging you. Don't stray away, don't get tired of waiting, don't look for what we have in others, because you won't find it. If you're patient with me, I promise I'll make it so worth it. And this is real. Every bit of it."

"I'm trusting you." I nodded, "I really am. So you better not break my heart."

"I'd never even dream of it." He said, "Madeline, I'm so sorry. Really."

"I'm sorry, too." I said, sniffing back a tear. "But I have to go. Celia and Trish are here, and I don't want to keep them waiting.

He sighed, "I understand. Go, have fun. Be good for me, okay?"

"Yes, Mr. Hemmings." I teased.

He chuckled, "Good girl."