7 • luke

I woke up the next morning stiff on the couch. My back hurt, and my neck hurt, but when I peeked into my bedroom door and saw Madeline comfortable in bed I didn't mind.

I chuckled. She was so physically small and innocent, and sweet, but damn was she a firecracker at the same time. I had learned that the night before.

I heard my phone ringing in the living room, and went to pick it up before it woke her. The name on the screen read Ashton.

"Hello?"

"Hey, man." Ashton chirped. "Me and the boys are going to get some breakfast. You coming?"

I looked back in the direction of my bedroom.

"Uh- no, no I can't."

"Really?" He sounded surprised. "Why's that?"

"I uh, I got hammered at Tanner's party last night. I'm feeling like shit this morning."

"Ahhh," he laughed, "you know I never even saw you leave the party. How'd you get home in one piece?"

"No idea." I laughed, continuing my own lie.

"Well, that's alright. Let me know when you're feeling better, alright? It's the weekend after all."

"Will do. You guys have fun. Eat some pancakes for me."

I hung up the phone, and walked back to my room. I cracked the door open a little more, and saw that Madeline was awake.

"Hey, you." I chuckled. She smiled at me.
I entered the room fully, and sat on the bed beside her. "How do you feel?"

She groaned, "Terrible."

I frowned. "I'm sorry. I'll make you some tea, okay?"

She nodded, slowly.

"Do your friends know your safe?"

She nodded again.

"Do they know you're here."

"No," she laughed, "I won't get you in trouble, I promise."

I smiled.

She pointed at the wall, "You hung up my painting."

I looked over at the canvas she had just noticed. I had framed it and mounted it on the wall as soon as I got home the day she gave it to me.

"Of course I did," I smiled, "I love it!"

She lit up. "Good."

"So, uh," I said, a bit awkwardly, "what are your plans for the day?"

She shrugged, "I don't think I have any."

"Do you want to just stay here with me, maybe?"

She grinned, widely. "Yes. I don't have any clothes though."

"We can stop by your house and get some, if you want." I suggested, "And then we can come back here. We'll be quick. You told me your mother was out of town, I'd hate for you to be all alone all day."

"Me too." She agreed.

I got her a pair of my sweatpants for her to wear to her house, even though they practically hung off of her. It was comical how big my clothes fit on her. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Stop," she whined, "I'm short."

"You're tiny." I corrected. "Come on, pipsqueak."

She pouted, but followed.

We made our way from my apartment to my car, and got in before the cold wind could bother us too much.

"How much do you remember from last night, Madeline?"

She thought for a moment. "Most of it, I think. I remember dancing, and getting a drink from the kitchen, and getting hit on by that creep, and you cutting in and telling me I needed to go home with you. And I remember you helping me get into bed."

"Do you remember the part where you told me you had a crush on me?" I smirked.

Her cheeks reddened, "I was hoping you'd leave that part out, possibly spare me the embarrassment."

I laughed, "Don't be embarrassed, sweetheart."

She fiddled with her thumbs, keeping them in her lap and looking down.

"Don't look so sad," I said softly, "you know I love your company, right?"

She smiled a bit. "I guess. You don't have to do this, you know. I know exactly what you're going to say."

I raised an eyebrow, "And what's that?"

"That I'm a great girl, just not your type, I'm too young for you, all of that stuff." She laughed.

"I was going to ask why you weren't with someone your own age." I chuckled. "You're a beautiful girl. And you're so smart. I'm shocked you don't have a boyfriend."

She groaned, "I don't like boys my age. They're pigs. They're the worst, Luke! Do you really think I need to be messing with any of the guys at school?"

"Fair enough."

"Listen. If I'm bothering you, I'll just go home-"

"Oh, Madeline, don't be silly." I interrupted, "Of course you aren't bothering me. We're friends."

"Are we?" She asked.

"Are we?" I repeated, chuckling.

She smiled, "I guess so."

"Alright then." I smiled back at her. "Now cheer up. You're hanging out with me today, that's final."

"Yes sir, Mr. Hemmings." She winked.

It was my own cheeks that flushed that time.

(( a/n: I'm having so much fun with this story omg and I have so many ideas but I wanna be sure that it's good so far and if anyone's enjoying it so pls feel free to comment what you think also if u want to vote or follow me that'd be great as well looool ;)) OK BYE))