22 • madeline

( a/n: ^^^^^ mood lol )

I was not expecting that.

Married?

That statement took the breath out of me. I sat down on my bed, and ran my hand through my hair nervously. I didn't know what to say. How could I compete with Nora now?

"Please, love," he begged softly, "say something."

"Married?" I asked. "You married her?"

"Yes." He sighed. "And it will be my biggest regret for the rest of my life."

"You said you broke up six months ago." I said. "Are you still in the process of a divorce then?"

"Not really, uh, well, the day that Nora came by was the day that the divorce process was sealed."

"So that's why she stopped by then." I grumbled.

"She was trying to mess with my head." He said. "And it didn't work."

I let out a long sigh, "I can not believe you didn't tell me. How could you not tell me?"

"Because I'm ashamed." He answered, miserably. "We're talking about the lowest point of my life, this woman broke me time and time again and I let her. When I told my mum I was marrying her she sobbed on the phone for hours, my family hated her. My friends hated her. I grew to resent her. But yet I stayed. Can't you imagine how hard this is to talk about?"

"Of course, Luke. I'm sure it's hard. But I'm-"

"My girl." He finished for me, "You're my girl. Mine. And I should have told you. But I was so afraid Madeline, I was so afraid I'd lose you. I was so afraid you wouldn't want to get involved with a man going through a divorce. I mean, fuck, you're so young, you're so beautiful, you've got so much life to live and you've got so many options and so many guys would sweep you off your feet the first chance they got."

"But I want you!" I groaned. "Haven't I made that clear by now? Luke, I want you. More than anything else. Nothing could change that. I don't care about Nora, just as long as you don't care about her."

"Honey, it's behind me. It's in the past for a reason, and all I'm looking towards now is the future. And I want you in that future. I am so, so sorry I didn't tell you Madeline. There is no excuse for it. You deserved to know."

"I'm trusting you, Luke." I whispered.

"And you should." He assured me. "I won't ever hurt you."