9 • madeline

I hung out with Luke all day on Saturday, and then he brought me home Saturday night so that I could greet mom Sunday morning. She didn't suspect a thing.

On Monday, I met Trisha and Celia in the library before school. I pulled my socks up, situated my skirt, and walked inside.

"There she is." Celia smirked. "How was Mr. Handsome's?"

"Shh!" I hushed her, "As far as he knows, you guys have no idea I was at his house."

"Oh, right." Trish remembered, "What we meant to say was, how was your weekend?"

I rolled my eyes.

"But really," Celia smiled, "we need details!"

I looked around, making sure no one could hear me. Then I smiled at them, "It was great."

They squealed, and I hushed them both again.

"We got to know each other so much more, and I really like him. He said he likes my company, and says we're going to hang out more."

"Yay!" Celia quietly cheered, "Are you on a first name basis yet?"

"Yeah, I just realized we have no idea what his actual name is yet, and it's going to be really weird to keep calling your secret lover Mr. Hemmings."

"He's not a secret lover!" I laughed, "and his name is Luke."

"Luke and Madeline, I love it!" Celia pretended to cry.

"Shut up." I chuckled.

"Did you kiss?" Trisha raised an eyebrow.

"No, of course not." I laughed.

"Did you do anything?"

I grinned, "We cuddled, but that's all."

They squealed again. Again, I hushed them.

"So, what's next?" Trish asked.

"I don't know, really." I shrugged, "I like him, a lot. I want to keep hanging out with him, I want to see him again soon."

"Aw, Maddie." Celia smiled.

"Uh oh." Trish whispered, looking past me.

I gave her a confused look, and turned around.

"Boo." Travis smirked, startling me.

We all three audibly sighed.

"Don't sound so excited to see me." He laughed, sitting down next to me. His friend Brett sat across from him, beside Celia. She gagged.

"What do you want, Trav?" I asked. "Whatever it is, it can't be good."

"Nothing." He shrugged, "I just couldn't help but overhear you talking about this new guy you're into. Who is it?"

I froze, "Uh, you don't know him."

"Clearly." He scoffed, "If you were seeing anyone who went to school here, I'd know about it."

He was far too cocky. He took off his leather jacket, throwing it in my lap. I rolled my eyes, sitting it on the table in front of us.

"So who is it?" He asked again.

"It's really none of your business." I crossed my arms.

He laughed, "Stop trying to act so hard, all of the sudden. If it has anything to do with you, it's my business."

"Quick question, Travis." Celia spoke up, "Did you have to study the arts of being a complete and utter tool, or does it just come naturally to you? Asking for a friend."