28 • madeline

"So who are you taking to the Valentine's Day formal?" Trish asked, sipping her coconut water. It was officially February, and Valentine's festivities were approaching.

"Celia." I laughed, nudging the bubbly blonde beside me. She smirked in approval.

It was lunch time the next day, and I was sitting with the girls at our usual spot.

"Oh come on!" Trish giggled. "It's Sadie Hawkins style, which means it's ladies choice!"

"Yes, and my choice is our dear CeCe." I said, putting an arm around her.

"I'm a catch." She winked. "Besides, it's not our fault our love interests aren't in high school. You're lucky, you get to take Davis!"

Trish rolled her eyes. "You know you could just ask a guy friend, right? Heck, you two could take Cameron and Gabe."

I cringed, "Pass. I love them, but not that much. Besides, Luke would kill me. He's definitely the jealous type."

"Understandable." Trish sighed, "I just feel bad that you two won't have your boyfriends there and I will."

Celia shook her head, "Stop it! We're going to have lots of fun, together!"

"And Luke isn't my boyfriend." I corrected. "Yet."

Celia chuckled.

As if on cue, the guys sat down to join us. Davis sat happily beside Trish, followed by Cam and Gabe, and then lastly to my surprise, Logan.
It had not occurred to me that Logan was Davis' best friend.

"What are you ladies talking about?" Logan asked, taking the empty seat beside me.

"The Valentine's Day formal." Trish replied, kissing Davis on the cheek.

"Oh, right!" Cameron said, "I forgot about that."

"We'll pregame together before," Gabe chuckled, "since we'll probably be riding solo."

"Who are you taking, Maddie?" Logan asked.

"Uh-" I stuttered out, before Celia saved me.

"Me." She smiled, "Our boyfriends go to Seattle University together and won't be able to come to the dance, so we decided to be a package deal for the night. Nothing new."

Logan nodded, "Got it."

Gabe scoffed, "Since when does Maddie have a boyfriend?"

"Since none of your business." I shot back, throwing a tater tot at him.

"I always knew you'd go for someone older!" Cameron teased. "High school boys never seemed to interest you."

"Yeah, cause all of my guy friends ruined it for me!" I joked, lovingly. "You guys suck."

They both shrugged.

"Logan, you're more than welcome to join the singles club with Gabe and I. We'll get drunk first and then bring the party!" Cameron beamed.

Logan grinned, "Sounds like a plan! We'll meet up with you two couples at the dance."
He laughed, referring to Davis and Trisha, and then me and Celia.
I laughed too. CeCe and I did make a pretty cute couple, huh?

It really did suck that I wouldn't have that experience with Luke. I wondered what his high school experiences were like, what school dances were like for him. I wondered if he got butterflies while picking out the perfect colors to match his date, and I wondered what songs they slow danced too. I wondered what it would be like if Luke was one of my classmates, instead of a teacher.