54 • madeline

Life was fucking incredible, these days

The month of March flew past us in a blink. I started spending almost every weekend with Luke, and now my mother could finally know about it. I visited Luke's friends more often. He came over and ate dinners with me and my mom some nights. There were even a few evenings where Luke felt comfortable enough to drop by when Celia and Trish were there.

It was like a fun little secret, that my two best friends and now my mother could be in on with me.

This particular evening, it was a Thursday. The last Thursday of March. I had changed out of my school uniform into a pair of old overalls that I didn't mind getting dirty in order to finish a project for my art class. I was sitting on my bedroom floor, paints sprawled out, and Luke on my bed above me.

He leaned down, laying on his stomach on the bed and putting his head in between my neck and shoulder.

I giggled, "Stop, you'll mess me up!"

He disobeyed, planting small kisses and making me giggle more.
Then, he rested his chin there.

"That looks so beautiful, love."

It was a larger painting, larger than my usuals. I was using oil paints instead of acrylic as well, a medium I was less confident with. The assignment was to paint in the iconic style of Van Gogh.
Before us sat (what I intended on being) a tulip field. I wasn't convinced, but it made me smile knowing that Luke liked it.

"Thanks," I grinned, "but I hate it."

He scoffed, "Well, you are your own worst critic. I think it looks incredible."

"You think all of my art is incredible." I laughed. "But you're biased!"

"So?" He smirked. "My opinion still counts."

"Yeah, yeah." I rolled my eyes playfully and scanned the canvas. "I hate these fucking flowers."

We both laughed together.
"Well, I love them!" He protested. "They're lovely, like you. My flower."

I turned my own head into him, encouraging him to kiss my cheek again, which he happily did.

"Well, thank you, babe." I giggled. "But I hope you weren't intending on hanging this one up. Because as soon as it's graded, it's going in the garbage."

He gasped, "I won't stand for it!"

We laughed again, just as my mom came in.

"Hey mom!" I smiled.
Luke greeted her with a smile, as well.

"How was work?" He asked.

They had gotten pretty close already, and it made my heart swell.

"Long." She sighed, but laughed, entering my room and sitting on my desk chair opposite of us. "What are you two up to?"

"Madeline is painting a gorgeous masterpiece that she won't let me keep." He pouted.

"Madeline!" She gasped.
Uh huh, mom, always taking his side.

"Nope," I shook my head, delicately outlining another flower, "you two are not about to guilt me out of this one."

She leaned forward, to get a better look.
"You don't like it? It's beautiful!"

I shook my head, simply.
Luke and my mom rolled their eyes together.

"I could feel that!" I said, with a laugh.

"Anyway," she chuckled, "what do you guys think about some Chinese takeout for dinner? I'm far too tired to cook. Luke, you're staying right?"

"Of course!" Luke beamed. "Especially now with the promise of dumplings."

My mom laughed, "I'm on it. I'll order up. The usual, Maddie?"

By the usual she meant teriyaki chicken and rice, to which I looked up and gave her an enthusiastic smile and nod. Once she was out of sight, Luke took the brush from my hands.

"What are you doing?" I looked up at him. He placed it gently on the palette, and laid back on the bed, patting his chest. "Come here."

I groaned, but then smiled, knowing I'd never need to be told twice to come cuddle.
I straddled him on the bed and then collapsed, and he laughed an "ouch!" but then squeezed me tightly. I snuggled into him, and he ran a few fingers through my hair.

"I noticed something." He said, after a while.

"Hm?" I asked, pulling away from him and sitting up now, still straddling his waist. I began tying up my hair in the scrunchie that was previously on my wrist.

"Your school's spring break is the same week as mine," He explained, "coming up pretty soon, in April."

It was about to be April, I remembered. The end of the school year in June seemed to be quickly approaching.

"Oh," I said, "I didn't know that."

"Me neither," he said, rubbing my shoulders, "and that brings up a new proposition."

"Oh?" I asked, curiously. "Which is what?"

He smiled, softly. "You come visit Australia with me."

My eyes widened.
"Woah." I said aloud.

He chuckled a bit, "Yeah, woah."

The corners of my mouth shifted into a small smile, "You'd want that?"

"Wouldn't you?"

"Of course I would!" I said, pushing his arm lightly. "I just didn't know you were thinking about those things yet."

"Well, I mean, we'd have to be discreet about it. I'd rather you didn't post too many obvious giveaways online, but, you're my girlfriend now and I really, really want you to come see where I come from. I want you to see my life. I want you to meet my family. I have so much to show you."

The pure love in his eyes when he spoke made me almost want to cry. To feel so important to someone, so special.
This was everything.

"I want to see it." I nodded, "All of it."

"Yeah?" He grinned. "I was, uh, hoping you'd say that. Because, I already saved up enough for our tickets."

I threw my head back with a laugh and then collapsed again, on top of him.
Earning another, "Oof!"

I giggled, putting both hands on his face and kissing him. He kissed back, softly, and pulled me as close as he could.
I dropped to the bed beside him, snuggling into his shoulder.

"This is going to be really nice, Luke." I said. "Do you think your family will really like me?"

He turned to face me, "Oh, honey. They will adore you."

I blushed. "I hope so."

"They will." He nodded. "Because you are so easy to adore."

I smiled, kissed him one more time, and pulled away. He left another sweet kiss on my nose.

"Let's do it, then." I agreed. "You promised to teach me how to surf, remember."

He chuckled, "As long as you still teach me how to paint."

I moaned, remembering the nightmare of a tulip field still sitting on my bedroom floor.

"Any time, babe, just please, let's stick to acrylic."