10 • luke

"You gave her your number?" Ashton asked in disbelief.

I had just spilled all of the beans about Madeline to my friends. Big mistake.

I sighed, "Yeah, I did."

He paced back and forth my apartment, while Calum and I sat on the couch.

"Are you insane?" He asked again. "How old is she? Like, seventeen?"

I nodded, "Yep."

He groaned. "Luke, what are you getting yourself into?"

"Oh, leave him alone would you?" Michael spoke up, walking back in with an new beer. "He can't help who he's attracted to."

"Attraction is just attraction." Calum shrugged.

"Oh, yeah," Ashton shot back, "and prison is just prison."

I groaned, "You guys are all blowing this way out of proportion! I didn't say I was trying to get with her, or do anything illegal with her, I just- I don't know. We're friends. Just friends."

"Just friends?" Ashton asked again, "She slept over at your apartment, and you kept it a secret. If it wasn't anything serious you wouldn't have had a problem telling us. And not only is she underage, she's your student! You can't quite just be causal friends with her, with sleepovers, and cuddling, if anyone found out you'd be out of a job!"

"It wasn't like some risqué sleepover." I rolled my eyes, "She was at Tanner's party, she got drunk, and I didn't want anything to happen to her. I really care about this girl."

"But do you like her in that way?" Calum asked.

"Just out of curiosity." Michael chimed in.

"I- I don't know. Ugh. I don't know, guys, I don't know what to say." I rubbed my face in frustration. "She's special to me. And she's so kind, and funny, and smart, and I enjoy her company. She's so thoughtful as well, and I really like hanging out with her. I mean, she's gorgeous. But like you said, she's seventeen."

"When does she turn eighteen?" Calum asked.

I shrugged, "I haven't asked her."

"It would be easier if she was eighteen." Ashton tried to reason with me, "However, she is still a student at a school you're working with. It's practically an internship, right? In a way? Like I know you're not an actual teacher there, but if they find out you're messing around with an underage student you'll never have a teaching job there, or anywhere around here."

"Don't you think I know that?" I moaned. "I know it's stupid! I know that! I just can't explain it, man."

Ashton flopped down on the recliner in defeat. "I'm not trying to be an asshole here."

"I know that." I sighed.

"It's just dangerous." He warned me.

"I know, I know. Don't worry about it. It's under control. It's not like we're doing anything, we're just friends. That's it."

I assured them all that everything was totally fine, and it held them over for the rest of the evening. When they left, I went to the kitchen to take a couple shots, until I had a good buzz going and felt a whole lot less stressed.

I grabbed my phone and took to my bedroom.

I changed from my everyday clothes to a ripped up tee shirt and black sweatpants, and climbed into bed. It was only 9:00pm, so I was hoping Madeline would still be awake.

About 20 minutes later, she finally called.

"Hey, you." I smiled, even though she couldn't see me. I was definitely feeling the alcohol.

"Just so we're clear," she began immediately, "I'm still mad at you for being a big meanie in class today."

I laughed loudly, "A big meanie?"

"Yes!" She whined.

"How?"

"Because you ignored me."

"I told you why."

"Still."

"You're stubborn, Madeline." I chuckled. "I like it."

"Stop flirting with me, I'm trying to be mad at you."

I chuckled again, "I can't just give you all of my attention in class, I have to give everyone my attention. And no one can get suspicious of us. It doesn't look good if I'm just focusing on you."

"Well," She griped, "I still want some attention."

"I know, love. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings."

"It's okay." She said, "Why did you want me to call you?"

"I don't know," I confessed, "I just wanted to hear your voice."

"Aw. That's cute." She teased me.

"You're the one with the crush." I teased back.

"You know, I'm starting to think you might have one too." She giggled.

"Nope," I laughed, "not at all."

"Dick."

I laughed louder. "You're trouble, you know that?"

"Yeah," she scoffed, "you remind me every ten minutes. Yet, you keep encouraging me."

"Because I like you."

"I thought you didn't have a crush."

"I shouldn't. Should I?"

"Why not?"

"You're my student."

"Yeah, I know."

I thought for a moment, "Madeline?"

"Hmm?"

"When do you turn eighteen?"

"Next month."

I relaxed a bit, "Really? What day?"

"The 19th."

It was currently January 18th.

"February 19th." I repeated. "I'll mark it on the calendar."

"Why did you ask?"

"No reason."

She scoffed, "Liar."

I grinned. "Is it bad I want you here right now?"

"No, it's not bad. If I could come over, I would. But you know."

"Yeah, you're a minor. Quit reminding me. It keeps getting weirder."

She giggled.

"Are you still mad at me?"

"Yes."

"What can I do to make you not mad anymore? What do you want?"

"A kiss." She said smoothly.

"Madeline." I groaned with a laugh, "I'm not taking advantage of you."

"I'm consenting."

I chuckled, "You aren't old enough to consent."

"Actually," She said, "the age of consent in Washington is sixteen."

"Stop tempting me." I mumbled.

She giggled, "I've got to get to bed."

"Really?" I laughed, "You're going to leave me like this?"

"Goodnight!" She sang, and hung up the phone.

I sighed heavily. Well, she definitely left me wanting more, alright.

What was I doing?