33 • madeline

(( a/n: ok wow HI. so I'm super sorry it's been so long since I updated. funny story. I actually got dumped HARd like 2 days after I posted the break up scene. ironic. it's been a super sad spooky season for me but I'm healing and getting over the heartbreak like a champ. nothing has warmed my heart more though, than seeing how much you guys love this story. that makes me so happy. so yeah WE BACK BABY ))

I was a mess the whole weekend. Luke didn't try to text me, or call me, and I certainly didn't try to reach out to him. As much as I wanted him I knew I couldn't beg for his attention. I knew I was better than that.

I wasn't in the mood for anything. I hadn't texted Celia or Trisha back, or replied to any of the guys' drunk Snapchats. I knew my friends were confused but I wasn't ready to talk about it yet. I didn't want to do anything. I didn't even want to move.

It took until Sunday, for my mother to come in my room to talk about it. I knew she was confused as well. She'd never seen me quite like this.

She sat on the edge of my bed. I was surrounded by blankets and pillows, dressed in the plain white tee shirt and sweatpants I hadn't changed out of since the night that the breakup happened.

She looked at me with sad eyes.
"Honey," She said softly, "You and I have always been so close. I know that something is hurting you, because it hurts me, too. Talk to me. I know something is wrong, but I don't understand."

I let a single tear fall from my eye, but I quickly wiped it away.
"It's hard for me to understand, too."

"Why don't you tell me what happened?"

I shrugged, "I wouldn't even know where to begin, mom."

"Is it a boy?" She asked.

I nodded.

"Travis?"

I scoffed, "No."

She looked relieved. "Good."

I laughed.

"You don't have to tell me every detail," she explained, "but just let me know what's going on so I can try and help."

I sighed, "Well, I met a boy. And I fell really hard, really fast. And I guess that's my fault. But things were going really well. And then out of no where, he just called it off. And I don't really know where to go from here, if I'm honest. I know that's super dramatic."

She nodded, knowingly. "I know the feeling all too well, my girl. And no, it isn't fun. And it makes you feel hopeless. Especially when you really believe you may have found your person."
She stopped for a second, thinking of how she wanted to word what she had to say next.
"When your father left, Madeline, it hurt so bad that I thought I was going to die. You think you're being dramatic, you should have seen your own mother. I let him break me. But, I had you. I had my angel by my side, and once I truly realized that, it made me unstoppable. The best thing he ever gave me was you. You are a strong girl. And you love so fully. Because I had you, I got through the worst point of my whole life. And I hope that I can do the same for you in return."

More tears fell, and I got out of my position to lay my head in her lap. She brushed my hair out of my face while I cried.

"It hurts so bad, mom." I sobbed. "I don't know what I did wrong."

"You didn't do anything wrong, angel." She assured me, "Don't blame yourself. If he doesn't treasure you like the gem you are, then that is his loss. Someone else will. I promise you that."

I nodded.

"Boys your age are childish, anyway." She said.

Yeah, mom. Guys my age.
If only she knew.

That Monday morning, I reluctantly got ready for school only because my mom said I had to. She was sympathetic, but she said she wasn't letting a dumb boy get in the way of my success.
That was a pretty typical for my mother.

I explained to Celia and Trish as well as I could when I got to school, what had happened. They were devastated for me but didn't make me talk about it too much. I was thankful for that.

I stopped sitting in the front row in history, and instead sat in the back corner. I didn't pay attention to Luke's lessons. I didn't take notes. I never looked him in the eye. I stayed to myself.

That lasted all week, before Logan came to sit with me on Friday.

"Are you avoiding me?" He smirked.

Not you, I thought. But I couldn't tell him that.
Celia took it upon herself to explain to our guy friends that my "little fling" was over and not to mention it to me, but of course, none of them knew who it was with in the first place.

"No," I smiled, "it's just been a long week."

"So I've heard." He nodded, seeming to understand.

Luke walked in, ready to start his lesson.

"Okay class," He said quickly, "take your seats."

"Well, you look awfully lonely." Logan said, placing his belongings on the desk beside me. "Why don't I join you?"

"Go ahead." I laughed.

Luke began his lesson, but Logan and I paid no attention to it.

"Are you okay?" He asked. "And don't bullshit me."

"I'm fine." I nodded, knowing it was a lie. "It's been pretty rough, but you know, I'm surviving."

"Hey, try not to let it get you down, okay?" He said softly. "I promise you, if he doesn't see what a total catch you are, he's not worth it."

"Thanks." I smiled. "I appreciate it."

"I've gotten my heart broken. And I mean hard." He said. "I was so in love. But she just didn't feel the same way. We were also like 13, but you know how that goes."

I giggled.

"How about you hang out with me soon?" He asked, "We could take the whole gang out, all of us. Just don't isolate yourself. That never works, trust me."

I nodded, "You're right."

"You know what would cheer you up?" He asked.

"What?"

"Egg his house."

I laughed.

"Madeline, Logan." Luke said sharply. "You two seem to be having quite a discussion. Care to share with the class what you think is more important than today's lesson?"

I looked at Logan in fear, but Logan shrugged it off.

"Sorry, Mr. Hemmings." He stalled, "I was just telling Madeline how beautiful she looks today."

There were a few "ooohs" from the class, and Luke's face reddened.
He looked at me with anger in his eyes and I couldn't help but smirk at him.

"Pay attention." He demanded.

He turned his own attention back to his presentation, and Logan and I looked at each other.

Logan, of course, did not truly understand why that little comment made Luke so angry, but I was incredibly satisfied.

We laughed quietly, that time.