51 • madeline

((( Madeline's party outfit )))

"I'm so not happy about this, you know." Luke griped over the phone as I did my makeup.

"I know, Lukey." I said. "It'll be over before you know it."

"You won't even have cell service." He pouted.

"I'll share my location with you." I retaliated. Celia had already prepared me for any argument, giving me ideas of what to say.
"I'll only be like half an hour away."

"Are you coming over afterwards?" He asked.

I thought for a moment, swiping a deep purple lipstick over my lips.
"Well, I thought about crashing there for the night."

He groaned.

"But," I sighed, "you can pick me up at midnight if you feel more comfortable."

"No, don't worry about it." He said. "It's not fair for me to ruin all of your fun."

I softened,
"You're not ruining anything, Luke. Pick me up at midnight. I want to see you."

"Okay," I could hear the relief in his voice, "if you insist. Are you drinking?"

I winced, dreading that question.
"Would it upset you if I did?"

"I mean," he started, but then sighed, "no, it's okay."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Positive."

I raised an eyebrow, even though he couldn't see me. "So if I drink tonight, it's not going to start a fight?"

Luke chuckled a bit, "Just don't get too shit-faced."

"I'll try." I joked. "I love you, Luke."

"I love you too, honey. Have fun, and be safe for me."

"I will. See you later."

As soon as I hung up the phone, I heard Celia blaring her horn in the driveway. I laughed, and ran down the stairs and out the door to her.
She and Trish were waiting for me in the car.
I was really excited. I loved spending so much time with Luke, but I kind of did miss getting to go out and have fun with my friends.

"This is going to be amazing!" Trish cried, as if she read my mind.

"I know!" I agreed. "I've been looking forward to it all week."

"Did Luke give you any shit?" Celia asked, a bit concerned.

"No, he's okay. He was even okay with me drinking. But, he's picking me up at midnight."

"Midnight?" They both whined.

"It's already 8:30!" Trisha protested, "And it takes almost an hour to get there."