10/ we by yevgeny zamyatin

read: 30.01.18 - 04.02.18

book: We

author: Yevgeny Zamyatin

blurb: WE tells the story of the minutely organized United State, where all citizens are not individuals but only he-Numbers and she-Numbers existing in identical glass apartments with every action regulated by the "Table of Hours." It is a community dedicated to the proposition that freedom and happiness are incompatible; that most men believe their freedom to be more than a fair exchange for a high level of materialistic happiness.

review: The first thing I have to say about this book is that it made me realise how much inspiration Orwell got for '1984' from this book, and actually how unoriginal '1984' is seeing as the storyline is basically identical to this one with a few minor changes.

I really enjoyed this book and thought it was really innovative and imaginative. It was exciting in parts, and the world building was extraordinarily good. Another part I really like about the book was the awareness of the reader and how much direct addressing the main character did to the reader.

There were parts which confused me or bored me, but overall I think it was a really interesting read which really captured the essence of dystopian fiction.

rating: 8/10