67/ the cement garden by ian mcewan

read: 27.08.18

book: The Cement Garden

author: Ian McEwan

blurb: In the arid summer heat, four children – Jack, Julie, Sue and Tom – find themselves abruptly orphaned. All the routines of childhood are cast aside as the children adapt to a now parentless world. Alone in the house together, the children's lives twist into something unrecognisable as the outside begins to bear down on them.

review: Recently, I've definitely been needing to read lots of books which I can achieve in one day because otherwise I'm afraid I'll never finish them. This was exactly what I needed today.

This story is so dark and taboo yet the way it is described by the main narrator kind of makes all these dark acts they do seem normal. I thought the narrative voice worked so well in this book because the abrupt and often detached way Jack described things added to the creepy element to this book.

It definitely isn't a book for people who get easily creeped out or who aren't interested in very, very taboo topics. But that's exactly the type of thing I love, and I thought this was a very clever and interesting novel which I'm actually interested in doing further research into.

rating: 9/10