31/ sins of the father by graham hurley

read: 21.04.18 - 24.04.-8

book: Sins of the Father

author: Graham Hurley

blurb: A rich old man, Rupert Moncrieff, is beaten to death in the silence of his West Country waterside mansion, his head hooded and his throat cut. His extended family are still living beneath his roof, each with their own room, their own story, their own ghosts, and their own motives for murder. And in this world of darkness and dysfunction are the artefacts and memories of colonial atrocities that are returning to haunt them all.

At the heart of the murder investigation is DS Jimmy Suttle who, along with his estranged journalist wife Lizzie, is fighting his own demons after the abduction and death of their young daughter, Grace.

But who killed Rupert Moncrieff? And what secrets is the house holding onto that could unravel this whole investigation?

The enquiry takes Suttle to Africa and beyond as he slowly begins to understand the damage that human beings can inflict upon one another. Not simply on the battlefield. Not simply in the torture camps in the Kenyan bush. But much, much closer to home.

review: I came into reading this book not knowing it was the 3rd book in a series but this book makes for just as good a standalone novel. I needed an action-packed, complex and exciting thriller.

And that's exactly what I got.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was incredibly clever and the plot was very engaging and interesting. I didn't guess the murderer this time! And this novel expertly made you question each character in turn.

The parallel plot with his wife learning about how the abduction of her daughter happened was also really interesting. I thought it was so interesting to learn about two cases in one book - one old and one new.

Overall it was just a really addictive book which I could read for hours and not get bored of.

rating: 10/10