51/ the prophet by kahlil gibran

read: 16.07.18

book: The Prophet

author: Kahlil Gibran

blurb: The Prophet is a collection of poetic essays that are philosophical, spiritual, and, above all, inspirational. Gibran's musings are divided into twenty-eight chapters covering such sprawling topics as love, marriage, children, giving, eating and drinking, work, joy and sorrow, housing, clothes, buying and selling, crime and punishment, laws, freedom, reason and passion, pain, self-knowledge, teaching, friendship, talking, time, good and evil, prayer, pleasure, beauty, religion, and death.

review: I was given this book as a present by a friend, and I was immediately attracted by its pretty cover. Little did I know that the words inside were far more beautiful than the cover.

This is my pick for a book from Lebanon in my reading the world challenge, and it is a gorgeous start to this challenge. This book holds so many truths about the world, and I love the message of love and equality which was transmitted throughout. I also adored the references to nature in the chapters, linking humans to oceans and flowers.

It's both simplistic and poetic, making for a very spiritual experience when reading. It made me look at certain things in a new way, specifically joy and sorrow. One of my favourite lines was this powerful statement - 'The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain'.

It was just a really inspirational and powerful book which is short but impactful.

rating: 8.5/10