16/ a room of one's own by virginia woolf

read: 25.02.18 - 26.02.18

book: A Room Of One's Own

author: Virginia Woolf

blurb: A Room of One's Own, based on a lecture given at Girton College, Cambridge, is one of the great feminist polemics, ranging in its themes from Jane Austen and Carlotte Brontë to the silent fate of Shakespeare's gifted (imaginary) sister and the effects of poverty and sexual constraint.

review: This was an essay I had to read for my English course and I came into it thinking I was going to be bored out my mind seeing as essays have never been something that I enjoy reading.

Boy was I wrong.

I loved this. I mean really loved it. It gave me access to some really interesting and eye-opening ideas surrounding women writers and women in literature in general, and Woolf writes with such passion that it is difficult not be to inspired by her words.

It didn't read like a normal essay, but flowed like someone have a long, in-depth discussion with you which would often go off into beautiful tangents and leave you speechless by the genius of how she phrases things. I'm pretty sure I highlighted half the book so that I didn't lose any memorable quotes.

Overall, it was such an inspirational read and one that I know I will consult again and again.

rating: 10/10