26/ disclaimer by renée knight

read: 10.04.18 - 13.04.18

book: Disclaimer

author: Renée Knight

blurb: Finding a mysterious novel at her bedside plunges documentary filmmaker Catherine Ravenscroft into a living nightmare. Though ostensibly fiction, The Perfect Stranger recreates in vivid, unmistakable detail the terrible day Catherine became hostage to a dark secret, a secret that only one other person knew - and that person is dead.

Now that the past is catching up with her, Catherine's world is falling apart. Her only hope is to confront what really happened on that awful day even if the shocking truth might destroy her.

review: The blurb sounds quite interesting, doesn't it? I picked this up at a time when I really just wanted to gorge on some complicated thriller which was enticing and exciting. This kind of half did that, but I am left feeling a bit unfulfilled.

For probably the first 250 pages I didn't care for the book at all, I thought the plot was overly dramatic for what it was about and that it was a very generic storyline. I will admit that it took a plot twist which was very unexpected but interesting, and that was probably the saving grace for this novel.

I didn't really like all the different points of view, I found them quite annoying and like it was trying to be like other big name thrillers but failing because the characters weren't likeable. I was still sympathising with Catherine even when I wasn't supposed to mainly because I didn't like the other characters.

Overall, it was an okay thriller but nothing remarkable. I've read more interesting plots. On the cover it says it has 'shades of Gone Girl'. It doesn't. It has a vaguely similar vibe but that may just be because it surrounds a wife with a secretive aspect.

rating: 6/10