Chapter Thirty-Six: I Love You

*only one more chapter after this*

Jacob's POV

"Happy Birthday babe." Shawn said as he walked into the hospital room, I turned around and smiled at him.

"I said it first, you're," Michele paused to look at the clock in the room, which read 12:45, "forty-five minutes late."

"Welcome to adulthood, where you will literally do the same things, but more things are legal for you!" Shawn said sitting next to me, giving me a kiss before looking back at my mom.

"Like voting, and you're legally allowed to make a Facebook account now!" Michele added onto his statement and I just shook my head laughing silently.

"I also have the right to pull my mom off life-support," I answered sadly looking at her and taking her hand, "they're supposed to give me the papers today."

"I'm proud of you Jacob, I know this wasn't an easy choice to make, but no matter what you choose, just know that she's agree with you one-hundred percent, okay?" Shawn explained squeezing my hands and I nodded.

"This is what she'd want, she wouldn't want to," I hesitated saying 'die' because I don't think I'm ready to accept it, "be with people she doesn't know, she'd want us to be there, people she loves and people who love her."

"You're right, that's how I'd want it," Michele agreed, "and I've known her for so long, she's like a second mom to me, and I know it's what she wants too."

"Michele, it's so late, shouldn't you go home? Shawn is here to babysit me now. I know you've been taking turns." I said humorously at, and she rolled her eyes.

"I want to be here for when they do it." Michele answered simply, "you and her have been with me on my worst day of my life, now I want to be here for yours.

"They probably won't do it until tomorrow morning at the earliest, but, I want to celebrate my birthday with her, one last time. So I'll wait until the night." I answered, "so please rest, I'll be fine. I'll call you." I insisted.

"If that's what you want," Michele answered, smiling softly, she hugged me and Shawn before grabbing her phone and searching through her bag for her keys.

"See you later?" Shawn asked and Michele nodded.

"Call me if anything happens okay? Love you both." Michele said before leaving.

"Love you too," I responded, she smiled at me and left the room. I sighed and let go of my mom's hand to walk towards the window, looking at the night sky.

"I've always enjoyed the night, same with my mom." I started, "it was a chance for us to escape reality for a bit, and just gaze at the stars."

Shawn walked behind me, wrapping his arms around me before joining me in looking at the stars. I leaned back a little, getting further into his arms and he rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Even my dad too, it was his favorite thing to do as a family. There was this thing that came once a month at the park called Saturday Nighy Stars where you bring your loved ones and just watch the stars with family, boyfriends, girlfriends. It was so peaceful." I explained, laughing slightly at the memory.

"Mommy! Look! That one looks like a bunny!" The child version of me yelled, laced with excitement, pointing at the sky.

"I see it honey! It's cute just like you." My mom said, booping my nose, causing me to giggle.

"Where's daddy?" I asked, "he's supposed to be here! He said he loved looking at the stars!"

"He's coming honey don't worry, he had to stay a bit at work." My mom explained and I frowned.