( 023 ) smile | m.w

"Mike!" Mike hears his name as he walks outside the school at the end of the day.

Turning around, he sees his crush/ good friend, y/n. She's not in the party, but she's still good friends with them.

"What's up?" He asks as she reaches him.

"I was wondering if you wanted to be partners for our science project." She says, a bright smile displayed on her face, melting his heart.

Damn that smile... He thought as he smiled back, nodding his head.

"Yeah, I would love to."

"Okay, great! I have to get home, but I'll see you tomorrow?" Y/n starts backing away.

"You can count on it." Mike playfully winks, and she giggles, turning back around and getting her bike, riding home.

Mike sighs, watching her ride off on her bike before getting his own and meeting the party at the end of the campus.

"What did y/n talk to you about?" Lucas asks.

"She wanted to be partners for our science project. That's all." He answers.

"You didnt ask her out?" Will adds.

"No. I already told you guys, I'm not asking her out. She doesn't like me." He says, getting on his bike.

"Yes she does. Stop doubting yourself, Mike." El chimes, climbing onto her bike that Hopper got for her.

"Just drop it, please."

(Meanwhile: y/n's house)...

Y/n hops off her bike, walking into her house and closing the door.

"Hi, Emma. Where's mom and dad?" Y/n says, setting her bag down. Emma is her younger sister, but only by a year.

"Mom is at the store, and dad is working overtime for another hour. They got hit bad with orders and everything today." Emma says, eating a spoonful of her cup of pudding.

"Okay."

"Do you know about Mike and Jane?" Emma asks, catching y/n's attention.

"What about Mike and El- I mean, Jane?" She corrects herself, taking a sip of her water from their fridge. Emma only knows about El's real name.

"I'm pretty sure they're dating or something." Y/n automatically spits out her water. Luckily the sink being next to her, she spits it in there.

"I'm sorry- what?"

"Yeah. Like last year when they first met or something I'm pretty sure they liked eachother, and like, before Jane went missing for a little, they kissed. Max was telling me about it."

Y/n's heart sinks to her stomach, her once happy mood transforming into her wanting to cry and stay in her room for weeks at a time.

"Oh.." She manages out, but fakes a smile.

"I wonder why they never told me. I hope things are going well for them, but I gotta use the bathroom." Y/n says, grabbing her bag and quickly making her way upstairs.

She softly closes her bedroom door, and a couple tears slip out. "Great.." She whispers to herself, wiping the tears away.

(>>Next Day At School>>)

"Hey, y/n." Mike says, sitting next to her in their science class.

"Hi, Mike." She smiles softly, the smile barely reaching her eyes, and Mike frowns, but doesn't mention anything.

Y/n sees the frown, and places her hand on top of his that's resting on the table, making his eyes widen as he looks over at her.

"Are you okay?" She asks. He nods, giving a slight smile.

"Good."

After the period is over, y/n escapes the presence of Mike and the rest of the party.

"Something is wrong with y/n." Mike tells the party.

"What? How do you know?" Max asks.

"Her smile."

"Her smile is the same, Mike." Dustin adds.

"No! No it isn't!" Mike raises his voice a bit, but calms down. "She smiled softly, but this time it was different. Her face smiled, but her eyes didn't."

"How can you te-" Lucas cuts Max off.

"Max, I always can tell when you fake your smile. I notice those things about you."

"See! Exactly, and now I'm going to find out what's wrong." Mike speeds away, trying to find y/n.

He finds her putting some of her things in her locker, and grabs her wrist, closing her locker and dragging her away.

"Michael Wheeler! What are you doing?" Mike ignores y/n, opening a door and closing it behind them, then turning on a light.

"Mike, we're not supposed to be in here."

"We're allowed to be, Mr. Clarke let's the party in here." He sighs. "But you need to answer my question."

"Okay."

"What's wrong?"

Y/n stays silent for a while, leaning against the wall, staring at her feet. "Nothing."

"Y/n," Mike walks up to be right in front of her, lifting her chin up gently making her look up at him. "What's wrong?" He whispers.

"I-..are you and El together?" Her voice sounds fragile.

"Wha- no. Not at all, who told you we were?"

"Emma said Max told her you two kissed one time and-"

Mike chuckles. "Y/n, we kissed, yes. We thought we liked eachother.. but when we kissed, it was like kissing a sibiling to us. We're not together. Plus, I like someone else."

"....who?" She whispers, scared of the answer.

Mike moves his hands to rest on her waist, their faces inches from each other. Y/n's breath hitches.

"A very beautiful, funny, amazing girl." He mumbles, and is secretly surprised by his confidence towards her.

His lips brush against hers, and y/n closes her eyes, her heartbeat rising by the second.

Nothing happens for a few more seconds, and y/n takes the matter into her own hands, grabbing Mike's collar and closing the distance between the two.

It feels as if fireworks go off throughout their bodies when their lips touch.

He brings her closer to him, and her hands travel from his collar to her arms wrapping around his neck as she smiles into the kiss.

A real, genuine smile.

"I-I love you. I've fallen in love with you." He whispers against her lips, smiling.

"Mike-"

"I know, you might say we're 'too young', but I really have fallen for you. I really do love you." Mike speaks softly.

"Mike, I love you too." She giggles, and relief spreads through him.

"So... that's why u were upset? Because you thought El and I were together?"

"Shut up." She burries her head into his chest, feeling small vibrations going through him as he lets out a small giggle.

She lifts her head and smiles up at him, and he breathes out slowly. "I love your smile."

● ● ●

Word Count: 1124 words

A/n: I think every other Mike imagine I did it was sad or sort of sad so her is a fluff