5 | FaceTime

[Edited]

      "You have really pretty eyes." Jimin blurts out, surprising himself. His cheeks instantly turn dark red, and he splutters loudly in embarrassment at his own bluntness and stupidity. The girl's eyes widen in surprise, but she somehow manages not to blush. The corners of her eyes crinkle in amusement as she watches Jimin flounder in his own words, "I- I mean, uh- I-I'm Ji-Jimin."

      The girl doesn't respond, tilting her head to the side a little, as if trying to get a better look at Jimin. Jimin's cheeks flush even darker.

      "I don't- I didn't mean to be such a bother." Jimin apologies sincerely, embarrassed at the strange lengths he goes to just to be able to have rainbow sprinkles with his coffee, "I'm sorry."

      "It's cool." The girl replies, blinking slowly. It's Jimin's turn to be surprised.

      "Really?" Jimin asks, smiling brightly up at the girl. She jerks back a little at his happy expression and looks down at her book. Jimin's smile fades a little.

      "Yeah." The girl's tone is cold as her eyes disappear behind the novel again, and Jimin starts to panic from the loss of eye contact, "Where's your friends?"

      "Friends?" Jimin inquires, baffled by the sudden topic change.

      "Yeah, friends." Her tone is sharp and unforgiving, as if he'd betrayed her for sprinkles. In a way, he had. Not that he meant to, though, "Your more dashing and daring friends that dared you, the shy one, to go hit up some innocent and unsuspecting girl, me, and get her number. Of course you'd never call her back, and if you did, it would probably be just to get what you wanted before moving on to your next toy, right? All guys are the same. Leave me out of the picture."

      "Wait- what?" The torrent of angry words confuses Jimin, and his eyebrows adorably crease in bewilderment, "I- I wasn't dared to hit you up and get your number. I'm really sorry if I o-offended you, I just- I didn't know what to say and your eyes caught me off guard and that was the first thing that popped into my head, and- and I would never do that to a girl! Only jerks are like that. I don't want to be a jerk, I want to be a koala!"

      The book lowers back down to the bridge of her nose and Jimin lets out a sigh of relief, not exactly sure why he was so worried in the first place.

      "So you didn't just sit by me because you were dared to?" Her sparkling eyes narrow, and her precise question knocks the air out of Jimin's lungs. 

      I can't lie. I'm a terrible liar. She'd probably notice that I was lying right away, and then she'll probably hate me! What do I say? 어떡해*! 

      "I- well-" Jimin glances over at Mina, who's watching the conversation with excitement. The girl across the table follows Jimin's gaze in a flash and glares at the girl behind the counter. All her questions are suddenly answered, and the feelings of anger and betrayal fade away into annoyance.

      "So you were dared then?" The girl accuses, her eyes flickering with an emotion unreadable by Jimin's panicked state, "You're just another one of those jerks out there, aren't you? What do you have to say to that, Noise Boy?"

      "I- I can't say." Jimin nearly whimpers, hanging his head and closing his eyes in shame; the exact opposite reaction from what the girl expected, "I promised not to say. I don't break my word. I'm really sorry to have bothered you, and I don't mean to be a jerk. Please forgive me."

      The girl stares at Jimin, scrutinizing the boy, before turning her head to glare at Mina. Mina winks back. The girl sighs and, much to Mina's surprise, finally lowers the book all the way and sets it gently on the table.