Chapter 24- So It Begins

Breakfast hour had finally rolled in with some employees punching in for their day shift as others punched out, praising the completion of another turn at the hospital.

Noel along with the doctor that had attended to (Y/n) the night prior, were going through her recovery process as Noel carried the tray of food for (Y/n). Specifically, tailored to her diet that she would be put on during her dialysis treatments in the meantime she receives a transplant. A knock at her door was made, causing the lightly slumbering female to slowly return to her senses. (Y/n) could hear the sound of air being pushed out as the door sealed, followed by a couple of gentle morning greetings that she recognized to be that of Noel and her doctor. The pair emerged from around the corner, Noel first coming into view with the tray for (Y/n)'s alimentation. The girl gave them a pleasant smile as she voiced her gratitude for the meal being set down on the overbed table.

"How we feeling this morning?"

"Good...great, actually. I don't have that..same general sick feeling from before."

"That's because you were put on emergency dialysis, but I am glad that you're feeling much better." The doctor rolled the overbed table with the tray of breakfast to (Y/n). She removed the metal lid by it's small handle that maintained the food underneath from going cold. The first scent to gently invade her olfactory sense was the sweet smell of cinnamon and apple followed by the fresh scent of strawberries and blueberry greek yogurt. It had been some time since (Y/n) was able to smell any kind of food without feeling immediate nausea. The sound of her loud stomach growl made the trio slightly chuckle.

"Hehe. I don't think I've been this hungry in quite a while."

"What they've prepared for you is apple cinnamon french toast strata, blueberry smoothie bowl and to drink, a cup of apple juice. Now then, since you are now on dialysis treatments, you will have to follow through with a certain diet for the time you spend on dialysis. Plus you will be limited on the amount of liquids you intake per day." As the doctor continued to explain what she could and could not eat while on her treatments, (Y/n) subtlety turned her gaze to the food sitting in front of her, wearing an impassive mien. Noel's sharp eyes noticed this detail, tilting his head ever so slightly." (Y/n). Are you okay? You became so serious all of a sudden."

"Hah. I've never really been good with sticking to a diet. In the past when I would try to go on one, I'd usually cave within the first 3 days. So...this is going to be a challenge." The doctor softly patted her on the shoulder, displaying a sense of understanding with the female. "Oh, honey. I understand how you feel. Even I, myself as a doctor find it hard to stay on a certain diet but, this is your health that depends on it. Your well being should be a top priority, always. As well as your mental health should be. If you have toxic people in your life the best is for you to drop them. You can't have people constantly dragging you down." (Y/n) gave little to no reaction in regard of her blunt statement. It was an arduous undertaking to drop the toxicity when she had to live with it, quite literally. The doctor quickly checked herself and offered a sincere apology for alluding to a sensitive topic. "I'm sorry, (Y/n). The last time I checked I have no Ph.D. in psychology." (Y/n) merely smiled in response to her apology. "It's fine. Though, strangely...it felt as if it were my mother or grandmother telling me this."

At that same instant as the words rolled off her tongue, she remembered she hasn't known of any new information in relation to her grandmother's state of health. "Excuse me, but by chance is there a phone I could use to get in contact with a family member? It's really urgent."

"You can use mine, (Y/n)." Noel kindly offered, pulling out his smartphone from his pocket to hand over to the girl. She stretched out her arm to grab the phone as she thanked him for the favor. Noel and the doctor excused themselves to give her privacy but not before the older woman reminded her she would be discharged at noon. "Ah, Noel?" The male stopped in his path to turn around to attend to any other needs from the patient. "I'll let you know when I've finished so I can give you back your phone." (Y/n) told as she slightly waved the phone in her hand in which he responded with a carefree grin. "Sure. You already know how to notify me if you need anything else." Noel pointed towards the nurse call button on the remote laying beside her. With that, he exited the room to return back to the remainder of work he still had to do before his shift were to end.