031

CHAPTER 031
JIGSAW

LOCATION: precinct

IT WAS A WEEK LATER WHEN
Kasey enters the interrogation room with Jennifer behind her. The two walk in to see Kate Spencer and Lieutenant Rose sitting together. Kasey sits down as Kate starts, "Thank you both for coming."

Kasey sits down with a grunt, "No, thank you. It's nice to get out of the house."

"I'll cut right to it." Kate begins, "Lieutenant Rose arrested your client without consulting my office first. So, congratulations. I am willing to consider a plea in this case."

Kasey immediately shakes her head, "Absolutely not."

Jennifer turns to Kasey and gives her a look, but as Kate continues, she looks back at her, "Miss Stark has once spent a year and a half in captivity in North Korea. It is possible she is suffering from some form of post traumatic stress. Given that, we would support a plea of insanity." As Kasey goes to open her mouth in protest, Kate looks at her adding, "Conditional on a period of indeterminate incarceration at a psychiatric facility."

Before anyone could get a word out, Kasey responds with a bit of a scoff, "No, thank you. I'm not crazy."

Lieutenant Rose looks at her, "Finally something we agree on. She's not a nut, she's a killing machine."

Kasey turns to him, "Actually, I'm neither."

"There is nothing that you could say to me that I would believe." Rose states.

Kasey opens her mouth, but then closes it before announcing, "I'll take a polygraph."

"Uh," Jennifer grabs Kasey's arm gently, and whispers to her, "polygraphs are inadmissible."

"In front of the jury." Kasey whispers back and then looks at the rest of them, "I'll take a polygraph in front of him." She turns to Rose, "He's the one I need to convince."

Jennifer sighs and looks at Kate and Rose, "I'm gonna need a minute."

Rose and Kate stand and then leave the room. Jennifer closes the door harshly and then turns to Kasey, "You're looking at life in prison. What Spencer just offered you is a gift."

Kasey shakes her head at the woman, "I may be guilty, but I'm not crazy." Kasey shrugs, "I kinda want to take the polygraph. And I if I take it and I fail, then..." Kasey looks down, "...I will consider making a deal."

Jennifer walks over to her and leans on the table in front of Kasey, "Fine. I'll set up the poly." Kasey nods, "And I will tell Spencer we're not pleading out, but Kasey, you have a family. Friends, people who actually care about you. So, don't, for one second, think that you're the only person with something to lose here." Jennifer looks down and sighs, "I'll be right back."

• • •

Kasey walks into the entrance of the lounge to see Hawkeye sitting on the sofa, watching the news as a reporter talked about how Ant-Man robbed a bank and how the superheroes they once knew as the "Avengers", were becoming villains. Kasey's eyes sadden and she steps in the lounge, "Mute."