034

CHAPTER 034
NIGHTMARE IN RED

LOCATION: avengers mansion

KASEY WAS IN HER ROOM. SHE
held a photo of her mother in her hands. Kasey's eyes saddened. She thought about her brother and how she wished her mother was there so she could talk to her about her problems. She missed Tony, but she could not forgive him. After she rejoined the Avengers, she was working on forgiving him for not believing her, but after he accused her of being a Skrull and actually shot at her, she didn't think she could forgive him. She was just so hurt.

And it felt like every time she tried to forgive him for something, something else would come up and she would just be mad at him again. It was either she disappointed him or he disappointed her. And Kasey held grudges. That was one of the things she was bad at, forgiving someone. Kasey pulls out her Avengers ID card and sees Cap calling her, "Kase, we're getting an emergency call from S.H.I.E.L.D., we need you down in the Assembly Hall right now."

"I'll be right there." Kasey tells him and puts her ID card away. She looks back at the photo of her mother and places it on her dresser, then she leaves her room in a hurry, running down to the Assembly Hall.

• • •

Kasey runs into the Assembly Hall with Captain America and Wasp. Stepping towards the Assembly desk, she establishes communications with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Maria Hill appears before her. "Maria!" Wasp exclaims and grows to her full size.

"What's your situation, Director?" Cap asks.

"My situation?" Maria looks at them with wide eyes. Maria begins to break up, but it comes back just as she begins to speak, "My situation is that S.H.I.E.L.D. is under attack by the Hulk!"

Kasey's eyebrows knit in confusion, "That's-- uh," Kasey glances at Cap, "are you sure?"

Cap looks at Maria, "I'm afraid that's not possible, ma'am. Bruce Banner is out of the city. We've got Hawkeye watching him."

"I don't care!" Maria yells, "One of your team is tearing apart my Helicarrier right now! Where's Stark?! I told him that the Hulk is his responsibility. I want you down here right now to help take him down."

Maria fades from the Assembly desk and then Wasp looks at Kasey and Cap in confusion, "So... is that possible?"

Cap puts his hands on his hips, "I don't know. I'm going to scramble the Quinjet." He begins to walk out the Assembly Hall, "We're leaving in one minute."

Kasey begins to follow him, but stops as Wasp asks, "Should we try and call Iron Man?"

Kasey looks down and then sighs quietly, answering, "No." She turns around and looks at Wasp, "This isn't exactly going to make Tony trust the team more."

Kasey turns and walks out of the Assembly Hall with Cap as Wasp agrees, "Good point."

Wasp shrinks down and follows them. "Kase, call Hawkeye." Cap looks at her, "He's got Banner, get him back to the city, and keep him sequestered in the mansion until we figure things out."

Kasey obeys and calls Hawkeye with her Avengers ID card before pulling on her mask and running on board the Quinjet.

• • •