Coping With Loss

Lyric waited in the waiting room, Naomi had been in the ER for about two hours. Lyric had been trying not to stress.

Ace had sat next to her, he fell asleep.

The doctor walks out, he looks at Lyric, his eyes widening.

"What a surprise miss Reid." He says.

"How is she?" Lyric asks sadly.

"We managed to remove the bullet, it didn't do much damage."

"Do you want the good news or bad news first?"

"Might as well do the bad news." Lyric says hopelessly.

"The bullet has traveled through several blood vessels of the area of the brain, Naomi had lost a lot of blood and she has now fallen in a coma."

Lyric cries.

"She has survived the surgery, but depending on her coma, she might not wake up. But she's alive."

Lyric takes a deep breath.

"You have a couple of minutes to visit her." He says.

Lyric takes off her coat, laying it over Ace, then she follows the doctor into the room.

Naomi's hair was pinned back. Her mouth was slightly open and her heartbeat was normal.

Lyric laces her hands with her aunt's.

Her eyes burned with hatred as she gazed down at Naomi.

The Red Cobras.

"Naomi..." Lyric gulps. "I don't know if you can hear me...but I just want to say that I love you..."

Lyric curls her fingers inside, tears running down her cheeks.

"And I'm sorry that you got dragged in this mess...you deserved better, whoever did this to you will pay." Lyric hisses.

"Miss Reid?"

Lyric turns around to see a man in a long trenchcoat. His short blonde hair was messy and he had very fair skin.

"If you don't mind, I'm here to ask you  a few questions."

Lyric turns around.

"I'm detective Chase, and I'll be investigating what and why this happened to your aunt."

She couldn't tell the whole truth or her life would be endangered...and her child's. Like Ace had said before, if the police get involved...things get messier.

"Do you know any people who may have not been so keen on Naomi?"

Lyric shook her head. "I don't know a lot about Naomi's personal life."

The detective jots down notes.

"At what time did you come home?"

"At 11:34 a.m." Lyric said.

"Have you detected anything odd with your aunt?"

"No. She goes to counseling but she's not suicidal."

"Do you have any other information?"

"No." Lyric lied.

"Thank you for your time." The detective said.

"Please...." Lyric whimpers.

"Find who did this." Lyric says.

"I will try, I don't have enough information to start an investigation."

"That's bullshit!!!" Lyric yells, shooting up from the chair, causing it to screech beneath her.

"MY AUNT HAS BEEN SHOT!" Lyric yells.